Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there any information as to exactly how these m96 rifles came to be in Finnish service in 1919? We know about the Swedish Volunteers of the Winter War but this was 20 years before, at the time of the Finnish Civil War. The articles I've read mention that German troops assisted the Finns in forming the White Army, but no mention of Swedish involvement.

One would assume that the Swedish government would not take kindly to individuals sending/ selling/ improperly transferring their issue m96 rifles unless there was some kind of official assistance policy or sanctioned "volunteer" system similar to the Winter War situation.
1919- 1940 seems to be a bit of a blank if these arms were in country during this period. I just haven't found anything to confirm that info yet.

For the record, my [SA] stamped CG m/96B is dated 1917. The [SA] stamp places it in Finnish service 1942 onwards & the threaded muzzle suggests that it was one of the rifles sold back to Sweden. There are no , [SY] or [SkY] markings typical of Civil Guard ownership.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Is there any information as to exactly how these m96 rifles came to be in Finnish service in 1919? We know about the Swedish Volunteers of the Winter War but this was 20 years before, at the time of the Finnish Civil War. The articles I've read mention that German troops assisted the Finns in forming the White Army, but no mention of Swedish involvement.

One would assume that the Swedish government would not take kindly to individuals sending/ selling/ improperly transferring their issue m96 rifles unless there was some kind of official assistance policy or sanctioned "volunteer" system similar to the Winter War situation.
1919- 1940 seems to be a bit of a blank if these arms were in country during this period. I just haven't found anything to confirm that info yet.

For the record, my [SA] stamped CG m/96B is dated 1917. The [SA] stamp places it in Finnish service 1942 onwards & the threaded muzzle suggests that it was one of the rifles sold back to Sweden. There are no , [SY] or [SkY] markings typical of Civil Guard ownership.

did you read the article above?

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you read the article above?
Re: "...This rifle was well known for its accuracy, so some 1,360 rifles M/96 that had ended up to Finnish Army by 1919 were then given to Suojeluskunta..." This is still not very informative. Possibly, and this is only conjecture on my part, the rifles were acquired through the FSR.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Some 400 Swedes fought with the White forces during the Finnish Civil War (so called "Swedish Brigade"). The Swedish Army also invaded Åland Islands during the war.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having read these articles numerous times, the question still remains; how did these rifles end up in Finnish service?

Article 1. Only 1 line "...some 1,360 rifles M/96 that had ended up to Finnish Army by 1919 were then given to Suojeluskunta." The remainder of this article relates to the Winter War 20 years down the track.

Article 2. Swedish brigade 1918. Composed of 400 Swedish paramilitary volunteers which would suggest c.400 rifles unless extra arms were also provided, whether sold, donated ect.

Article 3. Aland invasion 1918. Suggests 700-800 Swedish military personnel. Nothing in the article seems to suggest that the disarmament of troops affected any other than the red Guards & Russian forces. Withdrawal of Swedish troops is mentioned but no discussion concerning the fate of their arms.

So... was the provision of these 1360 m/96 rifles a sale, donation or other supply from the Swedish military per se, or from some civil organization, Swedish paramilitary or FSR stocks?

Puzzled...

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having read these articles numerous times, the question still remains; how did these rifles end up in Finnish service?

...So... was the provision of these 1360 m/96 rifles a sale, donation or other supply from the Swedish military per se, or from some civil organization, Swedish paramilitary or FSR stocks?

Puzzled...
That is the point. We know that at the time in question, the rifles could be obtained through the FSR. These rifles remained, however, the property of the Swedish army while being used for marksmanship activities.

My conjecture is some of the rifles were obtained through the FSR ostensibly for sporting purposes, but really for arming Swedish speaking Finns for self defense when the red vs. white civil war broke out .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.