Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance to pick up an M96 Swede. It was 1899 dated with no threaded barrel. All matching except for the rear sight. Seller told me no 1800s M96es will have a matching rear sight because the Swedes switched to a new ammo and retrofitted the 1800s rifles later on. Is this true or should I move on?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,660 Posts
Actually, it's not true. The same sights were used thoughout m/96 production. However, the old original Vee front sight and Vee rear notch were changed to a squared post front sight and U shape rear sight. m/96 rifles that were converted to m/38 usually had an insert installed into the rear sight ladder with a micrometer wheel ranging from 250 - 600 meters. It's usually known as the Vasteras m/38 refined sight insert.

Rear sight ladders and elevators came to be mismatched most frequently during barrel changes.

The m/96 was made only in two years in the "1800s". 1898 and 1899. When the m/41 (1941) ammo was introduced for all rifle use the Swedish military put a trajectory plate or decal on the stock for sight correction.

Dutchman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts