Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
866 Posts
Here you have a similar rifle with the Si-Ga back sight. This rifle among with a number of others with different diopters and sights was held by KATF as demonstration purpose over civilian used sights fot the m/96 rifle.

Search for "Gevär m/1896 KATF"
at "digitaltmuseum.se" and you will find a lot more in the same area.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,869 Posts
Now we see what type front sight hood was on that rifle . It just so happens that I have what I believe is the correct front sight hood for that SI-GA sight ? It has the front sight base &
extension inside it . I never knew what it was for ?

·
8,869 Posts
" oldmodel11 " check your conversations . I have an offer for you .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Here you have a similar rifle with the Si-Ga back sight. This rifle among with a number of others with different diopters and sights was held by KATF as demonstration purpose over civilian used sights fot the m/96 rifle.

Search for "Gevär m/1896 KATF"
at "digitaltmuseum.se" and you will find a lot more in the same area.
Thank you very much for the information! This goes far beyond my expectations for information. I sincerely appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I would say RARE , but one might pop up for sale tomorrow or never . If one shows up and there are sight collectors bidding , it could sell in the $300/$500 range in the USA . Maybe more than the cost of your rifle . Another missing part according to " bokila " is the front sight hood . So , you have the front sight base extension & blade add-on . You need the hood as well . I have never seen those 2 items before . The two rear sights I had were around $150 each in the 1990's . There were a few others at that time & none seen by me in the last 20 years . Of course , I might have missed one . As an example , there is a rare J-F rear micrometer sikte on EBAY now . It is around $300 and has not sold in a many weeks . It is one of the few Swedish micrometer sights with windage adjustment . Most need to adjust the front blade to get the correct windage . Law of supply and demand . If it was my rifle , I would want that SI-GA sight . Of course , there are a lot of things I want related to Swedish Mauser that I will never find in my lifetime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck !
For those interested I have earlier posted, with pics, both Si-Ga rearsights and the Front Hood. Can be found in two different stickys (one for the moment on top). The pieces still in my humble collection somewhere....
Regards,
Arilar

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
For those interested I have earlier posted, with pics, both Si-Ga rearsights and the Front Hood. Can be found in two different stickys (one for the moment on top). The pieces still in my humble collection somewhere....
Regards,
Arilar
Yes! Rare but can still be found in my basement!
IMG_20210407_231418.jpg
IMG_20210407_231625.jpg
IMG_20210407_231703.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I now find myself wanting a rear SI-GI sight.

Cool rifle OP and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are pretty good finds for a basement. Would you know how these were in production? From what I have been able to find so far I would think maybe 5 years or so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
For now , you need to find out the thread size ? Most likely metric ? If you have digital calipers , measure the hole size . Metric threads sizes : diameter minus the pitch = tap drill size . As follows :
m/3 x .50 pitch = 2.5 m/m tap drill size
m/4 x .70 pitch = 3.3 m/m tap drill size
m/5 x .80 pitch = 4.2 m/m tap drill size
m/6 x 1.0 pitch = 5.0 m/m tap drill size
These are just a few of the common metric thread sizes . There are sizes in between and fine threads . Those listed are course threads . Also , they could be British Whitworth or American SAE sizes ?
You can find metric screws at Lowes or Home Depot , the course sizes .
looks to be 3.3 mm

·
8,869 Posts
I say go to Lowes or Home Depot & get a m/4 x .70 m/m round head slotted screw to test the thread . Do not force it ! I do not know how long it should be . Cross that bridge whenever you get to it .

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Hi oldmodel 11!
Guess you have seen my "sticky" including info on Si-Ga? You find some info in that thread. I will do some more research for you when home again tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For now , you need to find out the thread size ? Most likely metric ? If you have digital calipers , measure the hole size . Metric threads sizes : diameter minus the pitch = tap drill size . As follows :
m/3 x .50 pitch = 2.5 m/m tap drill size
m/4 x .70 pitch = 3.3 m/m tap drill size
m/5 x .80 pitch = 4.2 m/m tap drill size
m/6 x 1.0 pitch = 5.0 m/m tap drill size
These are just a few of the common metric thread sizes . There are sizes in between and fine threads . Those listed are course threads . Also , they could be British Whitworth or American SAE sizes ?
You can find metric screws at Lowes or Home Depot , the course sizes .
Hi oldmodel 11!
Guess you have seen my "sticky" including info on Si-Ga? You find some info in that thread. I will do some more research for you when home again tomorrow evening.
Hello arilar!
Yes very good information that my limited abilities with computers did not find. My son and I are fairly new to the m/1896 and appreciate any info you have. Now we have 2 and his is the Si-Ga rifle. It is his 16th birthday present. I much prefer buying wood and steel that will last a lifetime to plastic that will fade away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi oldmodel 11!
Hi arilar, could you please advise how to pronounce "Si-Ga"?
We have said it many different ways :)

·
8,869 Posts
It does not look like a word to me . Just initials , which may or may not stand for anything ??????????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah I’m not sure if it’s an abbreviation, initials or what. I can barely speak English most of the time🤣

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Not easy to find info around the Si-Ga rear sight, front hood and front sight. Before shown in this thread I wasnt aware of that specific frontsight (even if I had one in my possession).
First time rear sight mentioned in SkytteÖS "Skytteboken" was 1953 so guess approved 1952. Vapen-Depoten in Falun has in catalouge 1954 the front hood for sale (not rear sight or front sight). Vapen-Depoten had catalouges once or twice a year at this point and I carry all of them from 1940s and further on. 1955 in Widforss catalouge pics on rear sight Si-Ga and explained they sell it complete with front sight and front hood (with installation included equal price with Pramm but cheaper than Hauge). Widforss next catalouge 1958 and then no Si-Ga included. Think I once saw ads in the magazine Svenskt Skytte but couldnt find it again so not much efforts to sell through that that channel. Guess only in business few years. Maybe 3-5 years and didnt gain popularity (because few surface today).
Thats all I can contribute for the moment...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Great find! Never seen a trials rifle like this. Definitely one of a kind. It needs an Si-Ga sight and front hood. Any collector would be very happy to have that special rifle!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts