Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
I get the drift of this tag and I am impressed. I will leave a more exact translation to others more qualified. In the meantime, a few images of the total rifle and few of the sights would be helpful?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Very interesting images and very interesting rifle. The images do add a great deal to understanding of the stock tag. As I mentioned before, I will let a better linguist than me do the translating. In the meantime, there are references on the tag to the KATF which was the Royal Swedish Army Ordnance Administration (Swedish: Kungliga Armétygförvaltningen, KATF). It was a Swedish administrative authority which existed from 1954 to 1968.

More to follow. . .

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Agree with Hejsan on waiting for the real translation, but in the meantime, what is the backstory and how did you come to possess this jewel? Many curious minds and all that you know.
You have a gorgeous Swede there and my jealousy meter is redlined.
Standing by.......
Please to excuse my bad manners in delaying a big welcome to the forum!! You came in on a tidal wave with that CG. (y)

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,909 Posts
And sitting in a nice piece of French Walnut too. Is the toe spliced?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, there is not much to tell. I traded for a M96 a few months ago and after shooting it my son I have grew pretty fond of it. We were walking around a local gun show and my son found this one. He never asks for anything, but this time he says “Dad we have to buy this”. We tried to find info on the tag but Google translate didn’t satisfy us. So long story short a 15 year old spotted it.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,867 Posts
Welcome to the Forum . I agree , that is a fine Carl Gustaf m/96 rifle . Well worth buying in my opinion .

I am not knocking your rifle , just trying to add info for you . It is missing it's rear sight ( relative to the stock plate info ) . I think it had a SI-GA rear sight . I think the front sight may be the correct SI-GA sight according to the plate on the stock . Someone decided to keep the SI-GA rear sight and replaced it with a standard m/96 rear sight ladder . Nothing wrong with that . That extra tall front sight was needed for the very tall SI-GA rear sight & may not work out with your rear sight . The SI-GA rear sight is very RARE to find in my opinion . If you will notice a large tapped hole in the rear sight base , which was originally a small set screw to align the base for soldering . It was the only thing holding the rear sight in position . The rear of the SI-GA sight rested on the receiver and moved up & down by a cam on the elevation dial . There were at least two versions on the SI-GA sight , one with a peep at the rear and another with a "U" notch at the rear .
By the way , if you dislike it for any reason , just send it on my way . Unfortunately , I no longer own the SI-GA sights in the following photos .
Actually , that is the 1st rifle I have seen that had the SI-GA sight mounted on it at one time . One of our Swedish members will have to make a translation for you .

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Took a stab at the translation of the plate - "ARILAR" might have a more correct version when he gets online

Nr 14 in KATF commercial demonstration set of sights for rifles. Approved by the shooting association board in collaboration with KATF 6/9 1954.

Diopter opening/Si-Ga Manufacturer V. Sandberg (a person's name)
Sight Post/Si-Ga Manufacturer V. Sandberg
Sight post protector/Si-Ga Manufacturer V. Sandberg

This marking plate or the mounted sight can not be removed or changed from rifle no 74076
Equipment belongs to KATF

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the Forum . I agree , that is a fine Carl Gustaf m/96 rifle . Well worth buying in my opinion .

I am not knocking your rifle , just trying to add info for you . It is missing it's rear sight ( relative to the stock plate info ) . I think it had a SI-GA rear sight . I think the front sight may be the correct SI-GA sight according to the plate on the stock . Someone decided to keep the SI-GA rear sight and replaced it with a standard m/96 rear sight ladder . Nothing wrong with that . That extra tall front sight was needed for the very tall SI-GA rear sight & may not work out with your rear sight . The SI-GA rear sight is very RARE to find in my opinion . If you will notice a large tapped hole in the rear sight base , which was originally a small set screw to align the base for soldering . It was the only thing holding the rear sight in position . The rear of the SI-GA sight rested on the receiver and moved up & down by a cam on the elevation dial . There were at least two versions on the SI-GA sight , one with a peep at the rear and another with a "U" notch at the rear .
By the way , if you dislike it for any reason , just send it on my way . Unfortunately , I no longer own the SI-GA sights in the following photos .
Actually , that is the 1st rifle I have seen that had the SI-GA sight mounted on it at one time . One of our Swedish members will have to make a translation for you .
View attachment 3817479 View attachment 3817480 View attachment 3817481 View attachment 3817482 View attachment 3817483
Thank you very much for the information. When you say rare, do you mean unobtainable rare? It seems to me this rifle is one that needs one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took a stab at the translation of the plate - "ARILAR" might have a more correct version when he gets online

Nr 14 in KATF commercial demonstration set of commercial sights for rifles. Approved by the shooting association board in collaboration with KATF 6/9 1954.

Diopter opening/Si-Ga Manufacturer V. Sandberg (a person's name)
Sight Post/Si-Ga Manufacturer V. Sandberg
Sight post protector/Si-Ga Manufacturer V. Sandberg

This marking plate or the mounted sight can not be removed or changed from rifle no 74076
Equipment belongs to KATF
Very interesting. Thank you.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,909 Posts
Now starts the hunt. Probably going to put a sizable dent in your wallet.

Interesting rifle.

·
8,867 Posts
Thank you very much for the information. When you say rare, do you mean unobtainable rare? It seems to me this rifle is one that needs one.
I would say RARE , but one might pop up for sale tomorrow or never . If one shows up and there are sight collectors bidding , it could sell in the $300/$500 range in the USA . Maybe more than the cost of your rifle . Another missing part according to " bokila " is the front sight hood . So , you have the front sight base extension & blade add-on . You need the hood as well . I have never seen those 2 items before . The two rear sights I had were around $150 each in the 1990's . There were a few others at that time & none seen by me in the last 20 years . Of course , I might have missed one . As an example , there is a rare J-F rear micrometer sikte on EBAY now . It is around $300 and has not sold in a many weeks . It is one of the few Swedish micrometer sights with windage adjustment . Most need to adjust the front blade to get the correct windage . Law of supply and demand . If it was my rifle , I would want that SI-GA sight . Of course , there are a lot of things I want related to Swedish Mauser that I will never find in my lifetime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would say RARE , but one might pop up for sale tomorrow or never . If one shows up and there are sight collectors bidding , it could sell in the $300/$500 range in the USA . Maybe more than the cost of your rifle . Another missing part according to " bokila " is the front sight hood . So , you have the front sight base extension & blade add-on . You need the hood as well . I have never seen those 2 items before . The two rear sights I had were around $150 each in the 1990's . There were a few others at that time & none seen by me in the last 20 years . Of course , I might have missed one . As an example , there is a rare J-F rear micrometer sikte on EBAY now . It is around $300 and has not sold in a many weeks . It is one of the few Swedish micrometer sights with windage adjustment . Most need to adjust the front blade to get the correct windage . Law of supply and demand . If it was my rifle , I would want that SI-GA sight . Of course , there are a lot of things I want related to Swedish Mauser that I will never find in my lifetime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck !
Thank you sir for sharing your knowledge. The things you never knew you needed... LOL

·
Registered
456 Posts
I now find myself wanting a rear SI-GI sight.

Cool rifle OP and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,867 Posts
For now , you need to find out the thread size ? Most likely metric ? If you have digital calipers , measure the hole size . Metric threads sizes : diameter minus the pitch = tap drill size . As follows :
m/3 x .50 pitch = 2.5 m/m tap drill size
m/4 x .70 pitch = 3.3 m/m tap drill size
m/5 x .80 pitch = 4.2 m/m tap drill size
m/6 x 1.0 pitch = 5.0 m/m tap drill size
These are just a few of the common metric thread sizes . There are sizes in between and fine threads . Those listed are course threads . Also , they could be British Whitworth or American SAE sizes ?
You can find metric screws at Lowes or Home Depot , the course sizes .

·
8,867 Posts
Here is a link in the Sticky threads above for the SI-GA sight . No photos known at the time for the front sight & hood ???????????

1 - 20 of 41 Posts