Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I new to the m96 and seen a tagged as m96 sniper rifle at a gunshow for $200,it had small and bigger screws in the reciever but I passed on it not knowing what to look for.
The vendor should have it again at the next show.
Are there any markings for sniper rifles?
How many screws did they have?
What parts are marked matching?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Pymi

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
I'm real sure what you saw wasn't a m/41 sniper rifle. They run well over $1,000. What you probably saw was a m/96 that Bubba mounted a scope on.

Dutchman

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looked legit to me for all I looked at it.
Is there any markings or anything to look for?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hello Pymi
If it was a real Swedish Sniper rifle for $200.00 you will not see it at the next show. Are you sure it did not say $2000.00?

John

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it had $200 on it,it was mixed in a rack with m44's and other milsurps what stuck out was the screws on the side of the receiver small and bigger screws.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,984 Posts
So , are you are saying there are screws , but no scope base ? The M-41 sniper has 3 staggered M-4 tapped holes and two 3m/m dowels , one at each end of the tapped holes . Sometimes there are 3 locking screws for the M-4 tapped holes . There are no sniper markings on Swede rifles . Originally , the M-96 used as a sniper would have all matching numbers . Any decent M-96 is worth $200 , but most likely a sniper taken out of service would have a worn out bore . There must be something wrong for such a low price , or the dealer does not have a clue what he has . Then again , it could be the work of Bubba .

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes screws bigger with smaller ones beside them.
I'll look it over at the next show bore condition,matching#'s.
It might be wore out,it looked used with bluing in the 60-70% range,that's what normally counts bubba out with no brand new look.
Would these have a stock disc?

Thanks for the help.

Pymi

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,984 Posts
You may find snipers with & without the brass disc of various types . There are rare sniper marked disc , unit disc and bore disc . Do not rely on bore disc markings , as it may have been marked 50 or more years ago . Thousands of rounds may have been fired through the rifle since last in the arsenal .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts