Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have this SA 94/14 that when I bought it, was not advertised as Finnish so I thought a made an under the radar score. I knew that the lack of a muzzle extension was odd at the time. But I now realize it has a serious problem… it is 1912 serial 296k which falls in m96 production

I think I know the sad answer that this is probably a good bubba job done stateside…. But humor me, were there any m96 to m94/14 conversions done in Sweden?

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,013 Posts
I was going to offer just a tad of hope and say a possible replacement receiver then I saw that bolt. It ain't right.

That stock would bring good money.

Reactions: Berserk3r

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to offer just a tad of hope and say a possible replacement receiver then I saw that bolt. It ain't right.

Thanks for the comment. Obviously the bolt stinks, but it’s an independent piece that I’m not too worried about… I’m more interested in just the rifle itself. A little googling around here has some posts that confirm m96 receivers were used to assemble some m94s but is there anything I can look for to see if this is all legit? Anyone else have one that is not SA marked? Is it all proper matching?

so many questions, I know. I’m a Finn collector, so this is outside my wheelhouse

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,134 Posts
All m/94 carbines do not have the barrel extension . How many is unknown ? Bubba bent bolt . Mismatched . Look in the barrel channel for a matching serial number to the receiver . With the other mismatched parts , I doubt it matches the receiver ?

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,617 Posts

Out of curiosity, how much money is good money for that stock?

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^btw Finn 91/30 has the rifle now

the buttplate and floorplate are matching with no funny business

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,134 Posts
I do not think it is an original Swedish rebuilt ! To many mismatched numbers . Any numbers on the rear sight base , ladder & slide ?

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,013 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much money is good money for that stock?
It looks like a pretty slick m94/14 stock, finger groove is correct, serial number in the m94 range. Without holding it in my hands for a closer examination, $400 give or take.

We're even now Martin old buddy, you helped me several years ago with the value of an 03 C stock. I did some kind of good on that one.😊

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,617 Posts
It looks like a pretty slick m94/14 stock, finger groove is correct, serial number in the m94 range. Without holding it in my hands for a closer examination, $400 give or take.

We're even now Martin old buddy, you helped me several years ago with the value of an 03 C stock. I did some kind of good on that one.😊
I appreciate the exchange of information wealth, sheepdawg!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
This just doesn't add up to me though. At a time when m96s are cheap enough to cannabalize, m94's weren't much different. There's no reason for someone to go through all the effort to take a military rifle and turn it into a common variant of the same rifle. There's gotta be another explanation. Weren't there some kind of school carbines or fortress carbines with straight bolts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the mauser world ive found many rifles that just dont make any sense. After sometime, some prove to be original examples. Most prove to be bubba jobs. Interesting nevertheless!

·
Registered
301 Posts
i know back in the 1980's there were a couple old gunsmiths in the Midwest and another in either MO or OK that were converting m96's into m94's by using parts that they had accumulated from sporterizing carbines over the years. This was back when you could order the rifles with cracked stocks for $50 shipped and most gunsmiths had backrooms filled with old parts. The guys that i dealt with were always up-front about their conversions and priced them as shooters. Boy, I miss the days of finding the carbine stock sets at gunshows for $25!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This just doesn't add up to me though. At a time when m96s are cheap enough to cannabalize, m94's weren't much different. There's no reason for someone to go through all the effort to take a military rifle and turn it into a common variant of the same rifle. There's gotta be another explanation. Weren't there some kind of school carbines or fortress carbines with straight bolts?
this is the biggest thing to me… who would care that much, and what Bubba would do THAT good of a job?…

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i know back in the 1980's there were a couple old gunsmiths in the Midwest and another in either MO or OK that were converting m96's into m94's by using parts that they had accumulated from sporterizing carbines over the years. This was back when you could order the rifles with cracked stocks for $50 shipped and most gunsmiths had backrooms filled with old parts. The guys that i dealt with were always up-front about their conversions and priced them as shooters. Boy, I miss the days of finding the carbine stock sets at gunshows for $25!
Good info, this could be possible..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts