Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here are some pictures of my 1924 m96 i got a the gun show.the serial number is 511693. it is all matching but the sight and cleaning rod

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,334 Posts
Nice looking rifle . It has a correct beech stock & fire blued rear sight spring . Have you checked the numbers in the barrel channel ? What is stamped on the wrist of the stock behind the triggerguard ?

Your serial number , 511693 , extends the high range reported in Crown Jewels , 511479 . Meaning there were at least 214 more produced in 1924 than previously thought .

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Very nice! I expected to see a boxed SA on the side, but there is none. 9 out of 10 20's dated m/96's that I see are Finnish property marked. Thanks for sharing.

·
9,334 Posts
The reason I ask about the wrist markings , was to see if your barrel was original . A replacement barrel would be marked at the place where is was replaced . The same marking would be on the wrist of the stock . For example , a barrel replaced at the Carl Gustaf factory would have a " CROWN/C " stamped on the wrist of the stock & barrel shank . Other army work shops use a differant letter with the " CROWN " . The Swedes way of tracking where the work was done .

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the crowns are plain no letters under them . 511693 is marked on the barrel and it is the same type numbers as the resever .i also have a 1919 and it has the crown and CB on the wrist and barrel no number. i will post pic tomorrow of it

·
9,334 Posts
The CROWN/CB would indicate that the army work shop at Karlsborg ( Carlsborg = old spelling ) did the work . An unnumbered barrel was probably a later period replacement when the Swedes had stopped numbering barrels .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts