Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Good question and one I wondered about myself. The only reference I've seen on numbers is in Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles by Branko Bogdanovic. On page 118 he states, "The first agreement signed in March 1938 entitled the conversion of 10,000 8x50R mm Mannlicher Model 1895 rifles and Model 1890 carbines."

Hopefully someone else has more information than that. It just says the "The first agreement....10,000." No further elaboration to total conversion numbers. Nor is there any mention to why some of these are marked M95/24 and others M95M. Other rifle models in the book he discuses marking changes. For example, for a short time some Yugo reworked K98's were marked 98/48 but most were not. I don't remember the details but he does tell the reason and time period for these.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Considering the SN of mine is 52523, I'd say that there were probably more than 10K made. But, then again, who knows if the can track production via SN ranges.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Also, that is a different stock setup than I am used to seeing. There is no typical Austrian protrusion at the wrist and it's far shorter than normal. Also, the bands don't look right.

·
Administrator
12,271 Posts
I have the following Yugoslavian conversions with their respective serial numbers:

M.95/24 - sn 2XXX
M.95M - sn 44XXX
M.95M - sn 109XXX

The highest reported serial number was below 130,000. If serial numbering is any indication of the output, then most people agree on 130,000 being the total number of M.95/24 & M.95M.

·
Administrator
12,271 Posts
The stocks and bands of M.95M and M.95/24 differ, see comparison picture. But the one on Radom1935 picture is definitely incomplete. The front part of the hand guard is missing and the upper band doesn't belong there.

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stocks and bands of M.95M and M.95/24 differ, see comparison picture. But the one on Radom1935 picture is definitely incomplete. the front part of the hand guard is missing and the upper band doesn't belong there.

The Picture I posted is from the Internet. Since it is for sale I won't quote it's source.

I am glad to know that it's not totally authentic.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I saw this one also. The auction has closed with the reserve not met. High bid was $350. The stampings seem very clear, almost new and the rifle appears to be a strange combination of parts from a M95, a M95M, and a 1909 Calvary Carbine. I have two M95M's and neither of them look anything like this.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The rifle was discussed on another forum as well. The up-side were the matching numbers. The down-side were the non-standard parts that seemed to indicate that the rifle was cobbled together at some point in time (likely stateside) to make a seemingly-complete rifle. The regimental markings were a huge red flag. It seemed quite high unless the high bidder had the parts needed to complete the rifle, in which case there could have been trouble matching the stock and handguard color. I was very surprised to see the reserve not met at that price, but who knows...

Also, 130,000 M95M's is a good estimate...I think it's close to what I have in my records.

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rifle was discussed on another forum as well. The up-side were the matching numbers. The down-side were the non-standard parts that seemed to indicate that the rifle was cobbled together at some point in time (likely stateside) to make a seemingly-complete rifle. The regimental markings were a huge red flag. It seemed quite high unless the high bidder had the parts needed to complete the rifle, in which case there could have been trouble matching the stock and handguard color. I was very surprised to see the reserve not met at that price, but who knows...

Also, 130,000 M95M's is a good estimate...I think it's close to what I have in my records.

It sold via Haggle for $425. Seems very High,

·
Administrator
12,271 Posts
I guess you can post the link now.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
If someone wanted a cheaper 95/24, there's one on the trader I believe.

·
Registered
953 Posts
:) Was one. Couldn't resist.

The $425 price is quite high. I think I get about $350 for my matching original M95M's that are complete in every respect. Oh well, to each his own. They aren't exactly common and they are LOTS of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Just heard back from the seller. The serial number is about 100 away from my other 95/24's and the best part about it is that the bolt on the new one (the only mismatched part) matches the serial number of my Bulgarian crested 95/24 (which is a complete mismatch). Talk about sheer luck...

Now, for what it's worth, anyone have a stock or triggerguard number 16156? Just had to ask....

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Talk about luck! Go buy a lottery ticket!!!

·
Administrator
12,271 Posts
Talk about luck! Go buy a lottery ticket!!!
Luck? With Prez the law of large numbers applies - if you buy a large number of Mannlichers the chances of finding anything you need approach 100% :D

·
Administrator
12,271 Posts
Hm... I will refrain from comments on this one. Let's see what Prez will say after he examines it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Aw...come on Nick...take a stab at it. It looks good to me until you get to the foreend. Looks like a Gew.88 rear band, maybe a Mosin front band and nosecap. The foreend could maybe even be a replacement from a duffle cut? The wood grain looks different in front of and behind the rear band. Missing the front handguard. Rear handguard is incorrect. Did you catch anything else? The nice thing about this one is that the major parts all have matching numbers, so like I said, if you have the correct replacement parts and wood (and want quite a bit of a project), it is a nice piece.

Interesting side-note on the handguard though. The rear handguard replacement can be fashioned from a VZ24 handguard. The Bulgarian crested 95/24 that I have has a G24(t) laminated handguard (with proof) that has been slightly modified to fit the M95M/95/24. No idea if it was done stateside or not. The stock is mismatched and I think it may even have been an Italian reworked stock. The whole rifle is a bit of a puzzle, but neat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.