Gunboards Forums banner

m95

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mauser1908 
#1 ·
Well I got the rifle in and I have not picked it up yet. My ffl sent me some pictures. The rifle has a banded front sight and a short carbine sight ladder. The barrel and reciever number match, does this mean the rifle was a cut down? Or does this mean it was rebarreled? or could it be either?
Thanks,

#4 ·
Do the serial numbers on the bbl match the receiver? Not just the same number, but also the font style.
If it doesn't match, then it's most likely a rebarrel. There is no way to tell the exact year the rifle was accepted without a date a top of the bbl ring.
And if it was a later re-barrel, there is no way to tell the exact date of the rifle either.

#5 ·
There was no date on it but the fonts don't match so I do think it was re-barreled. There is an S above the stamped on it so I know it was converted to 8x56r. The Austro-Hungarian Eagle is stamped on-top of the receiver and on the right side of it, I was pretty happy to see that so I know it was made 1918 or before. Its in excellent condition, with a nice elm stock, the bore is very good to excellent, very bright. I'm very pleased with the rifle for only paying $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.