1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic author: TTengineer
Subject: AIM M95 Stutzen/Insanely stiff Bolt
Posted on: 05/31/2007 03:01:03 AM

I got one of those M95 Stutzens AIM's selling a couple of months back, and the bolt is so stiff most of the time, it takes a considerable amount of effort to get the bolt head to cam! I'm beginning to wonder if this thing is safe to shoot.

I HAVE cleaned the bolt, FYI. And yes I cussed at it enough.

Replies:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply author: Hakrasheed
Replied on: 05/31/2007 12:18:43 PM
I believe you need to grease the inside where the bolt cams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply author: GOEX FFF
Replied on: 05/31/2007 12:26:37 PM
True, the M.95 bolt prefers grease over oil.
But, here is a page that has some M.95 bolt remedies that may also help.

http://www.ryngate.org/M95/

Reply author: MGMike
Replied on: 06/01/2007 09:19:37 AM
I doubt if it's just a matter of lubrication. These guns have seen a lot of use, rebuilding, and mixing of parts. The likelihood is that something is damaged, worn, burred or misfitted.

A technique I have used with some success to diagnose the problem is to take the bolt completely apart and examine very closely all mating and camming surfaces for signs of distress. Stone off any burrs. Then reassemble the bolt without the mainspring (or with a very light substitute spring that does nothing more than hold the parts in correct alignment). Work the bolt slowly by hand, both out of the gun and installed in the gun, until you can isolate the trouble. If you still can't find it, use Dykem to reveal where the parts are actually in contact internally. If you have any substitute parts, try them and see if things improve.

HTH,

M

Reply author: Ike27
Replied on: 06/01/2007 11:45:47 AM
I have a couple of M95's and both are stiff when working the action without rounds. The same level of stiffness that my Schmidt Rubin has. Seems like all straight pulls require more effort due to the "worming" of the bolt head.

Now, do you have others to compare it to? If your bolt functions outside the rifle, then I would look at the reciever recesses. Often these get gummed up and cause binding.

Ike

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

Close Window

·
Banned
401 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but having an M95 that would work/not work intermittently, and had what can best be described as a "jerky" bolt that would occasionally stick, here's how I fixed it:

remove bolt, and using a small dremel tool with wire brush attachment, polish exterior bearing surfaces of bolt, and polish rails inside the action as well. In some areas I used 400 grit sandpaper to remove light corrosion.

disassemble entire bolt, soak it in Mr. Clean and hot water for 10 minutes, scrub it with a toothbrush to remove all old grease and dirt inside/out. Look inside bolt body with a penlight to be sure you get it completely clean.

carefully sand/wire brush polish the bolt head, cams, bolt face, extractor

grease internal bolt parts with synthetic bearing grease (the black stuff) and reassemble

grease rails of bolt and action

reassemble- work action- then wipe off any excess grease

it should then work quite well, unless the gun has damaged/gouged rails or bolt surfaces

I also scrubbed inside the bolt camming grooves in the action, using Mr. Clean solution and an artists' paint brush- action removed from stock- these guns accumulate a lot of grease and dirt over time, get it all out and put a thin film of new grease in

the results will be an action that works as easily as any turnbolt Mauser, Remington, Winchester action. My son who's only 10 years old, can cycle it quite easily now. If the bolt is closed and trigger not pulled, I can cycle the bolt in/out so that is cams by only rotating my pinky against the bolt handle- it's VERY easy to cycle.

intuition tells me 99% of the M95's out there, need the action and bolt polished/lubed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts