Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the m95 carbine i got last week does not seem to have a date on the barrel or recirver. can i assume the barrel was replaced at some time or am i not looking in the right place.? i do not see any stampings near the S . tjm22shot54

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have an "H" marked Steyr M95; the original acceptance date was scrubbed. It also looks like the original s/n was scrubbed as well, as were unit marks on the buttplate. The extant serial number is also unusual, 5-digits with no letter suffix.

Replacement barrels usually have banded front sights; mine does not. We should nickname the M95 the fingerprint, as no two seem to be exactly the same.

-Devo

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
An "H" marked M95 would be a Hungarian 31M, whether originally made at Steyr or Budapest. The Hungarians seemed to put new serials.

·
Registered
916 Posts
An "H" marked M95 would be a Hungarian 31M, whether originally made at Steyr or Budapest. The Hungarians seemed to put new serials.
That's the conclusion I've come to as well. There's no front sight protector and the rear sight is still in schritten, so it's not precisely set up to 31M standards, but it's close.

-Devo

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That's the conclusion I've come to as well. There's no front sight protector and the rear sight is still in schritten, so it's not precisely set up to 31M standards, but it's close.

-Devo
That's interesting about the rear sight. Does yours have the short (carbine) sight? I noticed a couple of different ways the long rifle rear sights were modified on "H" marked M95's. One way recalibrated it 3-22 and the other, 3-18 (I think, trusting on memory again).

A thread early this year mentioned that those with the short rear sight were called 31M's and those shortened long rifles with the long rear sight were called 31M-a's. The thread also mentioned that the Hungarians made no distinctions between carbines and Stutzen, they were all short rifles. I have never seen in person an example with the Hungarian front sight protector, so the survival rate on the protectors must have been pretty low.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mine has the short rear sight. I'll try to get off my rear and post some pictures.

-Devo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts