Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting an M94, but prices always seem to be to much.
So when I saw this one I thought oh well, and did the buy it now. I can tell the stock is cut down from a different model.
Tell me what you think. I won't be able to examine it untill my deployment is over so well see then.

Here is the auction #

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=9741721

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
I really don't know much about them, but i can't see how you could be hurt by that price!
That seems really reaonable.
usrifle

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
No spot for a disc in either the comb or the regular spot on the right side. Ex-school carbine stock maybe?

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,203 Posts
Well , you got an antique M-94 action & that is good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the stock ???????????? We have seen a few of these beech stocks & it is unknown whether they are made in the USA or Sweden ? All of these have no disc cutout , finger grooves are to long & tapered , all are M-94 configuration , no serial numbers in the barrel channel & no crowns on the wrist . Old looking finish . Appears to me that a non-military stock maker may have used a M-96 for a pattern ( receiver to buttplate ) . This is about the 5th one I have seen . I had the chance to examine one & take it apart . I don't think it is military , but I cannot prove it ? Hoosier Gun Works was selling new made M-94 or M-94/14 stocks for $75 about 10 or 15 years ago , made from American walnut . So , these could be an older American made product ? Maybe there was a need for replacement stocks in the Swedish civilian market ? I doubt we will ever know the true story behind these odd stocks .

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Maybe there was a need for replacement stocks in the Swedish civilian market ?
Extremly unlikely!!! Though the m/94 were allowed in FSR-program throughout first half of 20s century this carbine saw very little use. Could be lent to clubs in limited numbers in beginning of FSR epoque for junior-shooters but very seldom cases be bought. Some were put up as prizes in early days, some made by weaponofficers and some very rarely bought directly from Obendorf in the first years.
To make this "style" for collectors in Sweden sounds even more unlikely.
My 2c is that they have been made in US......
Regards,
ARILAR:)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
"Has thread and cap on end of barrel" That sounds scary! Maybe refering to a barrel extention. (I hope). Grasping grooves too long, so it seems to be a cutdown 96 stock. My $.02. Waiting for Dutchman to chime in.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,660 Posts
This one will take some time to sort out. The new owner is on military deployment so he won't have his hands on it for a while. I've asked him to get the serial number for me.

The muzzle extension is probably what the seller is referring to as the thread cap. He obviously hasn't tried to unscrew it:).

Dutchman

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Very interesting....

I must say you were wise to do the buy it now. Although the stock does look suspicious, IMHO it was a good deal even without the stock.
When you get it please post pictures of the barrel channel.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
interesting

Thank you all for your comments. I'm looking forward to looking more closely into this rifle after I return.
I'll be sure to share any additional information I get with you all. The rifle may be a bubba specisl or it could be something with more history.
I'll have to leave that decision up to you folks here.
I just hope it shoots well.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
At the price you paid I would not be too fussed over the parentage of the stock so long as the bore is good. It is a nice piece of wood and it has some fair wear and tear, suggesting it was not put on yesterday or the day before. Wherever it was made they did a nice job. The join between the stock and the handguard is nice and tight and edges in the receiver ring picture look sharp. I doubt this is a cut down 1896 stock as the finger grooves start too far back. The back edge of the groove is level with the rear of the receiver ring on this carbine. An intriguing variant for sure and another wrinkle to look out for at gunshows and auctions.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,203 Posts
It is NOT a M-96 cut down stock , as it looks just like the one I examined & several others posted on the forum over the years . If it was a M-96 stock , you would have to fill in the cutout for the rear band spring & add a cutout for the M-94 band spring . The others shown have not had a filled in band spring cutout either .

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
If the inside of the barrel channel does not look correct, and I were to take a guess, I would think that someone with a duplicating machine cut down and redid the finger-grooves on a M96 stock and then used it as a pattern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts