Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a bedraggled old girl over the past few days with a straight old style rear sight and a sling swivel on the mag. It is all matching and by the look of it was stored in a barn or chicken coop bayonet down. It came with a bayonet in a much travelled and worn Russian belt loop holder with a brass ball on the end. It even has the matching serial written into the barrel channel of the stock and the cocking piece also is serialed matching too. Everything is Tula on the rifle and I was suprised to find the bore cleaned up real quickly too. The bayonet at first I thought was matching too but I find it is just similar in number. I found small feathers under the rear sight arm in the channel of the mount and mouse droppings in the stock istelf under the receiver hence the guess at a barn for storage. It was heavily covered with dust where ever it was stored. There is a Russian Roundel on the butt stock and the stock looks to be Walnut. Remington vintage maybe? There are no import marks anywhere that I can find and the tang date matches the barrel info too. No hand guard and type one barrel bands. It is a real shame that this was not stored better because under the woodline the blue is like 100% and beautiful. The active rust is mostly on the butt plate and that is soaking in Kroil Oil for later work. I also picked up 3 other rifles at the same time an FR-8 with a great bore, M91 Tikka 1941 Finn with sling swivels and sling. and an WZ48 Polish 22 cal. trainer. It was a good trip and weel worth the time! Regards to All! Bill

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Zeebill, you got it at the Alderfer auction in Philly, didn't you? I absentee bid on that M91 as I couldn't get off of work to attend the auction. Glad that it went to a good home if it couldn't come here to Baltimore. May I be so bold as to ask what the hammer price was?
Cheers,
mawkie

·
Gold Bullet member
11,304 Posts
Bill, wish I knew you'd be around. I was there Saturday morning. Let us know when you're going to be in town (so we can have the troopers stall you on the way!)

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,718 Posts
Nice Roadtrip !!

Thanks for the call Bill, glad you made it home safe with your finds. Hope to see pics of that 1900 sometime if you can swing it somehow. GREAT FINDS all, congrats again !! (not that I want to RUSH things along or anything, but am I in your will by any chance ?? LOL !!) ;)

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
That one is a beauty. Nice-you don't see those too often.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I am so stoked I didn't even mention no sling slots or crossbolt either! Wow I am flipping out here excuse me while I have the big one! Well Mawkie I wondered who had the absentee bid on it! It went for $550 which is much more than I had with me for sure! The dang Discover Card wouldn't work on the way home to get gas!! At 1AM in the morning no less! I cruised 360 miles up and 395 back in 19 hours. I wanted this one badly! It was called an old Russian rifle but I saw the flat sight and no sling slots in the picture. They sold it as an antique because they couldn't see the date under the chicken feathers and dust! Oh the stock Roundel is a Tula Hammer chartouche dated again 1900! If only the previous owner had stored this right it would be the prime example of an early Russian rifle. The blue under the woodline is perfect! Whoops I hit my head on the ceiling fan again! I am about a foot above the ground yet and I am trying to remember what to pack for leg 3 here of the great Mosin road trip! North again to the Altoona area of Pa! Zeebill will be appearing in your neighborhood gun shop, pawn shop, antique mall, auction, amusement park, or heaven knows where next! No honey hole is safe I am taking lessons fron Coneten be aware of that! Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
11,304 Posts
Glad to hear it, Bill.

Ummm... what color and make of vehicle do you drive? I'm doing a scientific poll...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Awesome find!

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Glad to hear it, Bill.

Ummm... what color and make of vehicle do you drive? I'm doing a scientific poll...
Ha ha ha !

Poot

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
A feller might be forced to let that one sit at the top of his Mosin heap.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I wondered who else would notice the lack of sling slots, stock crossbolt, bands and early rear sight. So in the end it was you and me Zeebill! I called the auction house and had Lon read the date just to make sure. When I heard 1900 I knew it was the real deal. Can't wait to see photos!
I really wanted to make the drive to Philly but couldn't get the day off and after doing the math (gas, tolls, sales tax) it was cheaper to stay home, do an absentee bid and hope that no other Mosin lover was attending the live auction. I should have realized that this auction was still within Zeebill range! Thank God you don't collect Enfields or French C&Rs or I would have to pack up and move! Look forward to running into you sometime in the near future. Perhaps at a Horst auction or one of the "local" gunshows.
Cheers,
mawkie

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
ZeeBill, You never cease to amaze me..very nice score..old eagle eyes!

·
Registered
143 Posts
why can't those deals be found down here in Texas.....you yankees is hoggin all the MN's up north there....(reeking of Jealousy):D....nice find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts