Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this project rifle (cracked buttstock and sewer pipe bore.) It has a lot of interesting marks including a Chatellerault receiver (see tang) and bolt body (not shown.) The PR2 is on the 7.62 site as an unknown Finn mark.

I'm only guessing on the following: The A on the magazine and the W on the buttplate are possibly Austrian?? I'm not sure about the partial line of numbers on the wood inside the buttplate - the closest thing I could find on the website is a Civil Guard district number but there are no other Civil Guard marks - of course the stock could be from a different rifle with Civil Guard marks.

The buttplate is quite interesting.

I've pulled the nails and gluing the stock back together. The bore is cleaning up a good bit; may end up black but with sharp rifling. It is a lot of fun for a little money.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Theres a survey I believe asking about the PR.2 marking over in the Survey Forum.

·
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got that single "W" mark, too. Any idea what it is?
My Austrian guess was from the 7.62x54r.net site under Other Country's Mosin Nagant Marks. There is a photo of and "Austrian "W" mark
Stock heel: at the bottom of the page. It may be unrelated to the W mark in the metal of the butt plate on my rifle.

·
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump

For more comments on marks to help clear my confusion! Anyone else see a butt plate like this?

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
The "W" is not the typical Austrian one, as the normal "W" is larger. But it looks like the mark of an Austro-Hungarian steel factory, Manfred Weiss in Budapest. May be this firm did a refurbishment or a repair.

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
The "A" on the magazine is not Austrian. The Austrian "A" was on the stock. For me it looks like a poorly struck triangle???

·
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The "W" is not the typical Austrian one, as the normal "W" is larger. But it looks like the mark of an Austro-Hungarian steel factory, Manfred Weiss in Budapest. May be this firm did a refurbishment or a repair.
Thanks kh. Even thumbnails to show the mark! I sometimes think I have learned a lot but I have so far to go. Thanks to you experts and this forum, I always learn something new each day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts