Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never, never give up looking. This is my first purchase from an antique store. I usually find rifles at these places in poor condition and over priced- but I stll look.

M91 1989 Tula with nice blueing- only missing on sharp edges. Counter bored with some frosting. SA and D marked. $162.00 OTD.

The bolt body and bolt are Izvhesk Late Type body with an early cocking nob with serial number. All other bolt parts have the bow and arrow.Cleaning rod has a Sestroryetsk arrow on the shaft and is 28 5/8 inches long (72.5 cm).Front band is Type I with a R inside a box-very small. I'm thinking it is a NEW proof mark. Rear band is also Type I with a "C" Russian acceptance mark.The magazine is an early type with sling swivel and Tula hammer. It does not match barrel serial number. Sight base has a Tula hammer and has been "Finned" for meters on right side. The rear butt plate has #80488 and this is repeated on the low part of the left side on the stock. It has a Cursive font capital "R" and a lower case cursive "g" about 1/2 inch above the srew hole. The top "tang" of the butt plate has in 1/4 inch sice font 4. C. and below that 57. I'm guessing battalion or regimental ID ???

The hand guard has brass ends and copper rivets. If it is not black walnut, it has been stained very carefully. Or, luck of the draw on Finn refurb. The stock itself appears to be black walnut and has a Deutches Reich capture mark. It also has another faint stock cartouche that I can't make out. I have another thread on this aspect. It has neatly fashioned brass shims for both top and bottom for the barrel and magazine to nest tightly to the stock. On the to of the inlet foward of the mazine screw in a 5/16 " square steel part inletted into the stock that has a 1/18 hole in the center. It is slightly curved for the barrel to pass over it and the cleaning rod ataches to it via the cleaing rod slot. It has a repair done to the stock just above the foward right side sling slot. Numerous dings and scrathes that appear to have happened long ago and now has a rich dark patina.

The sling has rather ordinary loops. But, the sling itself, is a hoot. 1 in wide leathe-very dark and well oiled. The botton metal attachment has some mustard yellom pain still on. The top has no metal fixture at all, and does not look like it ever did. It has a thin square leather leather lace to hold it together. The lacing appears to be very well fashioned and neatly notted. If it is a "Bubba" sling, it was done by a Boatswain's Mate First Class who really knew his marlinspike seamnaship.

I want to get the bolt jeweled, the stock krinkle finished with the stuff they use on pick up truck beds, digital camo teflon for the metal parts, and mother of pearl inlet of Elvis on one side and SEE ROCK CITY on the other... Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

My thanks to Ted and his great site and to all those who have posted over the years on this site while I've been gathering insight. My appologies for no photos, but the Secretary of War does all the macro stuff and I'll have to negotiate with her.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Given that it's an antique store purchase, and the fact that it involves the numbers "8" and "9" I'd be willing to bet his dyslexia kicked in and he actually meant to post "1898" instead. :D

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was plain old senile dementia "old timer's disease". 1898 is correct date.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts