Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local gun shop today and 2 rifles caught my eye one of them I think is a imperial tula 1900 m91, but he has it listed as a 91/30 I'm just wondering if this rifle is a 91/30 refurbished or if it is a m91 all the numbers match, the bolt does not have a number on it though. It has a import mark on the barrel from cai. He wants $225 for the rifle. I would welcome some advice. I have added some pictures. sorry the pictures are not that good used my cell phone.

While I was leaving the gun shop I spotted the second rifle. It is listed as a new England Westinghouse 1910 carbine. Is there such a rifle or is it just something bubba got a hold of? it had a odd looking bent bolt. is this rifle rare? he had it listed for $230 but he told me there was room to go down on it. I did not get pictures of that rifle but I can if anyone thinks I should

Attachments

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
I guess 225 is not a bad price on any M91 anymore. I could be wrong. As for the "carbine" it could be a few things, most likely though, a bubba job.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I'm with Sean.

Buy the M91, a fine price these days for a very historic rifle that looks good in the pictures, but pass on the "carbine."

As said, there are a few possibilities, but without pictures we can't tell.

Most likely a cut-down Bubba job or a Depression-era "meat rifle" conversion into a "sporter", but it is worth a picture to be sure it isn't a Bannerman "cadet" or something really odd. New England Westinghouse didn't make 1910 carbines (or anything like them in 1910), so what is it really and where did that "1910" date claim come from?

·
Registered
23,388 Posts
Yeah, there is not really such a thing as a 1910 Mosin Carbine. The Germans once referred to the 1907 Carbine as a Carbine M1910, but NEW never made a 1907 Carbine. If it was a legit military isued carbine, it would most likely be a M91/38; but as Sean said....it is most likely a bubba. Pictures would tell us either way.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'd buy that M-91 in a minute for the asking price. Doesn't look to be "Finn'd" and it doesn't appear scrubbed either..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't look at the bore. I was going to do that when I went back. I don't think he knows very much about Mosin Nagants he had it listed as a 91/30 and he told me it has been there for some time. there is some more marks by the crest that you cant see in the picture. they look like R in a circle. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
I echo what most have said.. for $230 OTD for any m91 that is complete is usually a safe bet. Its hard to say, but it looks like the crest is scrubbed, but even so its worth more than 230 OTD in most cases.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what does that mean the crest is scrubbed? If you are talking about the symbol above the words there is one there and there is one on the hex part as well just cant see them in the picture to good

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spaxspore the crest is on it but its not as deap as yours but it is viewable that you can make it out. When I get it I will post some better pictures. Or is thT what it means when it's scrubbed that its not as deap

·
Registered
722 Posts
I didn't look at the bore. I was going to do that when I went back. I don't think he knows very much about Mosin Nagants he had it listed as a 91/30 and he told me it has been there for some time. there is some more marks by the crest that you cant see in the picture. they look like R in a circle. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.
Wasn't suggesting the "bore" as a deal killer. And I think you didn't take it that way. But if you can get it for less because of a dirty bore then why not?

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,675 Posts
I would buy that M91 in a heartbeat. No hesitation.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,486 Posts
I have quite a few M91s and I bought most of them without even looking in or asking about the bore. (Most were online auctions.) Even if the bore looks nasty, it is often just old grease and dust and shoots fine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After seeing both it looks like the unscrubbed version that you posted. It even has that what looks like a R in a circle like the one you posted. I'm still confused about the bolt not having a serial number

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.