Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See pics on posts below...

My main watering hole has an M91....it's so rusted you can't see the receiver markings...actually it looks scrubbed under the rust...."E" stamping on the bolt...stock looks very good but looks like it has been stripped. Here's the wierd part--there's a very clear US flaming bomb cartouche on the wood belly just forward of the magazine--there's a couple of more clear russian style cartouches on the butt. Bore actually looks decent--all other surfaces are rusty...no import mark...no top wood handguard...bands look like they've been in place for years....adjustable sight is broken...it just flops.
There are two "divits" on the top of the barrel. it looks like bullet strikes...old patina.

It's strange...the stock looks wierd because is looks stripped and fairly new...but it looks like the hardware has not been changed from the wood for years....all screws are rusted over....

I can get it for $60...I suspect that it's a NEW under the rust...

any ideas/suggestions?

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
The stock is worth 60 Bill. Sounds like a US surcharged NEW and Id bet thee might be screaming eagles-6 of them on the barrel next to the NEW logo. The rear sight spring is no big deal.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
Bill,

Does the rifle function? Bore's decent, that's good. Maybe somebody stripped the wood with the rifle assembled because they didn't have the know how to soak the bands and screws to disassemble it. If it's not heavily rusted or pitted and functions, hey, what's sixty bucks for a good project? All ya' need is a hand guard and a rear sight spring, and lot's of elbow grease. I wish I could see it, buy it if it works and have fun cleanin' it up.

Lancebear

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
I'd get it. that's about the price of a GOOD bottle of tequila, and will last a lot longer. likely with fewer headaches. y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK...I put some money down on it...the receiver has been scrubbed...the tang has nothing on it...the bolt is festooned with 'E's...the bore looks waaaay better than the exterior metal.
The stock has the flaming bomb as mentioned before...on the right (if I remember correctly) side of the butt is stamp that according to Ted's site is a 'NEW "English Contract"' russian stamp. The stock has the screw in type sling slots (I can't spell e-schrunchins at the moment).
I need to note that the stock has no finish but appears LIKE NEW....these stamps are clean and crisp...
I actually believe it would shoot just fine...
When I pulled the mag assembly out I found the rust ended where the mag well went into the wood.
The store guys said this particular guy brought in several rifles that looked like they had been stored in a barn.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, are you still looking for civil war stuff--have you dropped in at Howards? he's got some repro stuff and some original civil war stuff...he's also got a $60 M91 mosin :)

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Maby an Eskimo owned it......
I have a wasted 'Lotta' with rotten wood a guy left out behind his shed when he ran outta ammo.I almost fell over when he sent it to me.

Heck, Ive seen plenty a "Rusted to s***" rifles with impeccable stocks, but the surf way 50 yards away from the house, fog, storms, high tide and its all saltwatery...and guys up this way store rifles outside most of the year (Winter) as well as hunt the ocean and ice for days on end.
Get a good job, maby two weeks on/two off, buy a new rifle, hunt with it, put it in the cache and lock it, come back to town from work and Uggggggggggghhhhhhhh......

Funny, it never happens to the 40+ crowd..........

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's some pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and more

Attachments

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
Well the metal is a toss away but the stock alone was a 150.00 deal for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.