Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 7.62x54r has shown us a very nice Remington M91 converted into a single shot trainer. My question is how did the Japanese obtain this and other WWI era rifles? Wasn't made during the war with Russia. The war was to early. Russia did supply China with arms later on, I think to help China fend off Japan if I remember correctly. So were they obtained then or were they purchased on the open market? Next when did these rifles enter the US? From what little I know, I'm under the imprestion that these rifles are not import marked. Any info, thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,255 Posts
I think a lot of the Remington rifles may have been sitting in storage in the far east,The Japanese got them when they moved into the vacuum caused by the Russian revolution.I have a Remington that also has been converted into a Single shot trainer-The conversions I have seen are too nice to have been chinese used.If you see pictures of the ANREF in North Russia,they are all armed with M-91's .They may have been sitting up north in Russia,and it was just a handy way to arm those guys.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
The US gov't bought many of the Remington and New England Westinghouse M91s that were made after Russia defaulted on the contracts. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I want to say 2,500, were sent to Vladivostok late in WWI to arm the Czech Legion which was making it's way across Russia hoping to travel around the world and re-enter the war on the Western Front. As Russia devolved into Civil War the Allies sent troops to guard materiel which had been supplied to Russia to keep it from falling into Bolshevik hands. The largest contingent in the Vladivostok area was from Japan and as other countries pulled out they acquired the US made M91s, somewhat dishonestly. Regardless, they ended up with them and utilized them as training rifles. I assume that most of the ones now in the US were bringback souvenirs at the end of WWII.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I must have pulled that number (2,500) out of my butt. I looked at some stuff that seinen (active on the Japanese board here) sent me and if I'm reading it right the number was 50,000. The Japanese did not end up with all of these, but probably most of them. The Russian Civil War and all it's factions make the Spanish Civil War look "cut and dried" by comparison!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link. I guess I didn't realize all that was going on inside Russia at the time. Just another reason I collect Mosins the more you learn about the rifle the more you learn about history.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts