Gunboards Forums banner

m91 handguard question.

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Spaxspore 
#1 ·
Just got my first m91, and have a quick question that i couldn't find an answer on.

Is it normal for a m91 to have a small gap between the top and guard and the stock?

Here is a picture of the rifle in question (please forgive the picture quality.. my lighting suxs ATM )

See less See more
#3 ·
ok i am asking because the rifle came in pieces (thanks nick for taking the extra care in shipping) i am just making sure i got the bands aligned correctly/installed. i have them snug but i dont want to over tighten. This rifle is a beautiful piece of world war I history non-finned balken import.

Oh on a more serious note...

Damn this thing is LONG!

#7 ·
thats what i thought.. this wood looks to be a hundred years old.. especially the stock the age and the petena of the wood is gorgeous . I just wanted some confirmation from you folks since this is the first m91 ive ever touched :).

#14 ·
Often these old war horses have been refurbished once or many times in the decades they have been around - In that process some sanding took place - Could be that is one o the reasons for the gap between the handguard and stock. I also have a few M91s like that.

Pahtu.

#22 ·
It is quite normal for hand guards for M91's to be warped. I have a couple of them that are twisted too much to use on a rifle. They are all light colored wood like your rifle seems to be. All came from a serbian vintage and are rather thicker than the normal wood on a hand guard. There was one I used that was twisted and light wood that was a Russian hand guard though. Many times when people seek a replacement stock for a step barrel model they end up with a stock the barrel channel has not been cut deep enough for the fatter barrel and what you are showing there in your picture is what the barrel fit looks like in the stock. Great picture to show people looking at 91/24's how to make sure of original stocks. Bill

#23 ·
Here is the pic of the whole rifle... I bought it off of one of the moderators here collections.. and it looks like it is pretty much all original for its period. M91 Tula 1916 Austran capture, not finned. It has a Austrian K marked bolt handle which is why the number doesn't match to the barrel /receiver. It even has a tula cleaning rod and original butt plate. It seems to be the perfect rifle for entry level m91 collector. I got it for 225$ otd

I shot it the other day.. and the fit and finish and the craftsmanship compared to the typical refurbed 91/30s... no comparison. It has a feel of old worldly way of doing things.

#25 ·
Good week... sure did

1944 Izhevsk PU, m38 1942 Izhevsk in M38 stock, and this m91 1916 tula Austrian capture

i dont go to the range much due to the cops taking over (they shut it down to the public on my off day which is monday) and the weekend its packed. I havnt gone to the range in years... sadly.

#26 ·
Push in the middle gently and see if it presses down, then it's warped. You can get it really wet and wrap it tight with twine or something soft and that might pull it back. My 1917 Remington is the same way. It ain't gonna shot any better though. Nice rifle!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.