Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first m91, and have a quick question that i couldn't find an answer on.

Is it normal for a m91 to have a small gap between the top and guard and the stock?

Here is a picture of the rifle in question (please forgive the picture quality.. my lighting suxs ATM )

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i am asking because the rifle came in pieces (thanks nick for taking the extra care in shipping) i am just making sure i got the bands aligned correctly/installed. i have them snug but i dont want to over tighten. This rifle is a beautiful piece of world war I history non-finned balken import.

Oh on a more serious note...

Damn this thing is LONG!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
I think it may just be due to shrinking/expanding/warping of the wood throughout it's service life, it's more a sign of age than a flaw, it's pretty common on older military rifles.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i thought.. this wood looks to be a hundred years old.. especially the stock the age and the petena of the wood is gorgeous . I just wanted some confirmation from you folks since this is the first m91 ive ever touched :).

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That and ceiling fans :) You really dont get how long this rifle is until you compare it a m38/m44 carbine or walk around with it.

·
Copper Bullet Member
580 Posts
Oh on a more serious note...

Damn this thing is LONG![/QUOTE]

You want long? Mount a bayonet on it and watch out for your ceiling lights.

·
Registered
369 Posts
:) i only have m91/30 bayos and not sure they work on m91 .. havnt tried it and my knowledge is limited on the m91s in and outs.
I believe the 91/30 bayo will work on an m91...haven't tried it yet on mine though, dang thing's long enough without a 18inch extension...
Also, my m91 is the same way regarding the hand guard gap. I can't get it to sit still when shooting, don't wanna risk stripping the screws but dang

·
Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
I believe the 91/30 bayo will work on an m91...haven't tried it yet on mine though, dang thing's long enough without a 18inch extension...
Also, my m91 is the same way regarding the hand guard gap. I can't get it to sit still when shooting, don't wanna risk stripping the screws but dang
yes, a 91/30 bayonet will fit on an M91, as will a Panshin bayonet...all the newer bayonets were compatible with the older rifles, but not vice-versa...

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Often these old war horses have been refurbished once or many times in the decades they have been around - In that process some sanding took place - Could be that is one o the reasons for the gap between the handguard and stock. I also have a few M91s like that.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the hand guard has a slight warp to it.. you can press it down easily to make it flush but when you release the gap is back.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Spax

My 91s are the same with small gappage, I don't see anything unusual with the pics

Now considering the men were shorter back then, can you imagine carrying it WITH bayo on?

5' 4" man - 6' 10" rifle = what's wrong with that?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts