Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
The proof looks legit. The Chatellerault bayonet is a "90 degree" slot design. The pics don't show enough detail to see if it is a 90 degree slot. Besides, can't you just drive over there and pick it up? :)

Coup

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Besides, can't you just drive over there and pick it up? :)

Coup
This would be nice, but the seller lives a little bit too far away from me...

What I'm wondering about is the font of the serial number - all illustrations of serial number stampings I've seen from Châtellerault (on bayonets and rifles) have a little bit different characters "1" and "5" - the "1" has a small horizontal dash at its lower end and the "5" has a "dented" horizontal top dash - both are lacking here.

Just received three more detail photos:

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, Coup, for all your input. But nevertheless I've still some doubts. The seller sits in Romania and if you look at all his other auctions, he's always selling after the same "pattern": rare M91 bayonets (Châtellerault, Remington, Tula, Sestroretsk and so on) and always with metal scabbards. Those scabbards are rare, nevertheless he seems to have them in quite a number. Maybe coincidence and that guy was simply so lucky to find a "bonanza" of M91 bayonets, but things like this always make my "alarm bell" ringing.

And I found this thread in the 7.62x54R forum: http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=13131.0

Here the seller also comes from Romania and there are doubts concerned whether that Sestroretsk M91 bayonet is a legit one...

A few days ago we had an auction here in Germany on egun.de for a Finnish M39 bayonet - clearly a fake. Took quite a while until the auction platform owners took some action and cancelled the auction (stood at over 100 Euros already at that moment)... Okay, I've my (legit) M39 bayo already...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Chatellerault moved from the 90 degree rotation lock to the 30 degree rotation lock at the same time of the change at the Russian arsenals, in 1893.

The serial number of the bayonet (30 degree rotation lock) looks correct for a 1893 weapon.

The 30 degree rotation lock remained in use until the new bayonet was introduced with the 1891/30 rifle in 1930.

The 60 degree rotation lock was developed for attach accessories such the wire cutters, but it never replaced the 30 degree rotation pattern.

·
Registered
598 Posts
That discussion was more about fake scabbards, not the actual bayonet. I can see how fake scabbards would be used to increase the overall desirable attributes and help the sale.

Coup

·
Registered
380 Posts
Did you end up getting it?

Seeing a lot of similar items from several Romanian sellers on eBay, been wary to purchase for same reasons as you state above. If you did purchase it, would love to hear your first hand inspection on authenticity.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I inspect pictures of this one and other bayonets (one "Remington" offered by the same dealer and one "Sestroretsk" very likely from the same source, but not 100% sure), I come to the conclusion that they are fakes. Look at the serial numbers shown below - to me they all seem to be applied with the same tool.

"Châtellerault":

"Remington":

"Sestroretsk":

And here more pictures of the "Remington" offered by this guy. Looks like a bad copy to me...

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Three more photos of the "Remington":

And here the number stamping on another "Sestroretsk" bayonet, this time one 100% from the same dealer (sold recently):

Again the same type and size of font...

If I take all this into account, I'm afraid I'm not willing to risk more than 100 US$ in this case...

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, despite all my doubts I couldn't stop the gambler in me....;)

Did win the Châtellerault bayonet for US$ 131.50 plus shipping. Now let's see what I'll get for this money.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ah, the auction that just finished. Good thing I didn't jump in, would hate to bid up a fellow collector. Do let us know when you receive it your thoughts on authenticity. Same fellow has a lot of interesting similar items.

Okay, despite all my doubts I couldn't stop the gambler in me....;)

Did win the Châtellerault bayonet for US$ 131.50 plus shipping. Now let's see what I'll get for this money.

·
Silver Bullet Member
149 Posts
Got my Izhevsk yesterday. Seems fully legit, with a thin walled Austrian ball tip scabbard.

Judging by my example, it appears that the reason to the pretty pretty similar look between the different manufacturers is that they have been pretty heavily refurbished at some point. For me it made no difference, as I was out for the scabbard.

Then to the Chatellerault: You overpaid heavily, as I was about to bid only $125 ;)
As a matter of fact, I think that the scabbard alone is worth much more than what you paid :thumbsup: I already have one, but started to get greedy when I saw the price.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Got my Izhevsk yesterday. Seems fully legit, with a thin walled Austrian ball tip scabbard.

Judging by my example, it appears that the reason to the pretty pretty similar look between the different manufacturers is that they have been pretty heavily refurbished at some point. For me it made no difference, as I was out for the scabbard.
Same seller?

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

As a matter of fact, I think that the scabbard alone is worth much more than what you paid :thumbsup: I already have one, but started to get greedy when I saw the price.
Sounds good - but now I'm lacking the proper gun for this bayonet...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.