Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an 1898 Tula with nice clear eagles, logo and SA stamp on the barrell. In addition, it has a Deutches Reich catouche on the stock. What is bugging me is a faint cartouche nearby with what looks like double circles abouth the size of a dime. That I believe ( or want to believe) is the Russian acceptance mark. I have only washed the stock gently with mineral spirits and it remains faint. I have diabetes and my vision can get a little weird if I have to much coffee or god forbid, a donut. Has anyone tried using ultra violet light to look at stock marks? Does it work? I want to say that I see a C and a P. But I am not very sure at all. It may be wishful thinking. I have a number of other marks that I will ask about later after I try to get my wife to take some macro photos. The butt plate and stock have matcing numbers 80488. The interesting part of that is on the top portion of the butplate on the tang portion is "4. C." and below that "57". (4th company 57th Battalion?) Or, is this a hopeless question? On the butt plate proper is a very clear cursive capital "R"and below that a cursive lower case "g". No clue on that one. I looked, but didn't see this on Ted's site, but I may have missed something.

Best wishes from Fernandina Beach, Florida. Go Noles.

Jim Kemp

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
You probably see a CCCP roundel or a PCCP roundel on the stock. The buttplate has German or Austrian WW1 unit markings on it that was reused by the Finns. Sound like an interesting rifle.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
You probably see a CCCP roundel or a PCCP roundel on the stock. The buttplate has German or Austrian WW1 unit markings on it that was reused by the Finns. Sound like an interesting rifle.
Vic,

Wouldn't the CCCP or PCCP roundel be found on the right side of the butt stock?

Tim

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The faint mak in question is on the right side of the stock about one inch fron the Deutches Reich mark, that is clear.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
The faint mak in question is on the right side of the stock about one inch fron the Deutches Reich mark, that is clear.
Sorry for the confusion. For some reason I thought you had indicated that the Deutches Reich mark was on the left side. Clearly you did not. I have a 1915 Tula m/91/30 with similar provenance (Deutches Reich marked) and SA stamped and is in an English contract stock with a NEW cartouche.

Tim

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
If the "double circle" mark is the size of a dime it's too small to be the typical Russian/Soviet stock cartouche. They are about the size of a quarter or a little larger. There is a double circle mark that shows up like that but I don't think the meaning is known. The ones I have seen almost look like they could have been done by a soldier screwing around with a cartridge case and something slightly larger. However, it shows up relatively often to be random screwing around.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
The inside circle would be about dime size and if it has C--P or P-C-- its probably pretty sure its the roundel from a later stock.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Maybe we can get a clarification on the size of the largest circle.

There are imperial era cartouches that are the same size and style as the post revolution cartouches. I have a clear Remington myself and have seen pictures of both Sestroryetsk and Tula in the same pattern.

Rows #27 thru #29 here. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ted, I did check your site, before I posted the first time. (And bye the bye, it is quite excellent and I refer to it often.) I did relook at the mark this morning and the cartouche is just covered by a nicklel; larger than a dime, as I posted without gauging; but is clearly smaller than a quarter. I am still wondering about the use of UV light for looking at stck marks and I will put this in a separate thread.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
Cartouche

Probably looks like this one, also just barely covered by a nickel. It's on Ted's site.

regards
badger

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the look see and info. I'm now sure it is a roundel, but I can't honestly say which one for sure. Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts