Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I came across this rifle for $65.00, as far as I have able to tell by looking at pictures it possibly is a m91 carcano. here are the pics that I have taken of the proofs and markings. if anyone can help it will be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,602 Posts
Definitely a Carcano Action and Barrel, but the sporter stock and absence of other ID characteristics stops further ID Possibilities...Also, Your Photos are slightly out of Focus, and Blurred...I can only barely read the Serial Number,(TC xxxx) and the Parts Maker ROCCA (Cocking Piece??)...are there any date marks, Factory Marks, etc on the Barrel swell....From the roundness (NOT Faceted) of the Barrel Swell, it is a Post-1937 Barrelled action, so it was probably a M91/38 Fucile Corto, a M1941 Fucile or one of the M91/38 Carbines(?). Seeing there are no rear or front sights, and the original stock is gone, I wonder if the Barrel has also been shortened ( ie, of an M41?).

Not worth much except as a Truck gun or as a Deer shooter, with proper sights and ammo. Hardly restorable to original Military Configuration ( if the Barrel is uncut, possible but Costly; if cut, waste of time and Money...a Parts Gun or Project Gun...( Hunter).

Even $65 is excessive...both Down Under and in the USA. I would try to make a back up Sorter/Hunter to really learn about the craft.

Doc AV

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,783 Posts
I believe you have the remains of a late war M38 moschetto made by Gardone. Over a million pieces of this model were made by that arsenal. SW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it does have rocca on the cocking piece. the serial number appears to be tc7518. there is a L7 on the trigger housing and a tc7 on the trigger mechanism. on the bottom of the barrel ( opposite side from the serial number ) there is the mark EB 14. There also seems to be a 3 inside of a rectangle?? under the EB14 stamp. it is supposed to be chambered for the 6.5x52 cartridge. I am going to check and see how much a chamber cast will cost me.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,783 Posts
Rocca was a small parts supplier to the arsenals. The rest of the markings were made by armorers to show a certain operation had been completed. SW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts