Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tomorrow at Big 5, price will be $139.99. That price may be in their computers as early as today. The local store had a 1931 Izhevsk "hex" M91/59. DDR

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If it looks good, grab it!

There were relatively few 1931s made as a 91/30 and to have one converted to a 91/59 is a treat.

If you don't want it, grab it for me and I will pay you a finder's/bird dog fee, of course.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,793 Posts
tomorrow at Big 5, price will be $139.99. That price may be in their computers as early as today. The local store had a 1931 Izhevsk "hex" M91/59. DDR
Nice find, well done! I'd look for the sale price to drop again at a not-too-much later date, too.
Poot

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,837 Posts
Although none of the Big 5's in my town had any hex receivers, I did manage to get two "scrubbed" 91/59's. When I got them home, I was surprised to find that both were on Izhevsk receivers without any date on them. One might have had the date ground off, but the other shows no sign of any date ever being applied.

One is in an M38 stock, and the other is in an M44 stock. Both have just the "1891/59" and a 4-digit serial number. Most of the inspections stamps are gone as well. One had all the arsenal stamps polished out except the barrel bands, the trigger (stamp is not visible unless disassembled), and the receiver. Even the bolt had all stamps polished off.

If any of you have a Big 5 withing driving distance, check them out.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Well, I was at the openning of my local Big 5 at 10:00 AM sharp. I bought the display model, a 1939 Izhevsk. All matching, though the stock has me a bit perplexed. SSE in the the butt, and a half metal one in the forestock.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
gun nut 73: I have two of the scrubbed ones (both with simple, 4-digit numbers) and what appears to be a number inside a star inside a circle (partial) proof mark(s) on the underside of the chamber, under the woodline. Only thing it reminds me of is a N. Korean star-in-a-circle. Congrats on finding the scrubs!

Gosha: I have a couple like that. When they cut down the M91/30 (or possibly a M91) stocks, they sometimes used the fold-in tabs up front. Some have the push-in style up front, and I believe one has screw-in's up front and nothing in the rear. There are unusual mixes and matches. DDR

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
And two more pics: Note in one of the above pics, the second scrubbed carbine has a fractured receiver. Always a good idea to clean and thoroughly inspect any milsurp before shooting it. Never shoot any milsurp right out-of-the-box! Both carbines appear to have been rebarrelled. Also looks like they used the Cyrillic "Z" ("3") as a numeral "3". DDR

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wish there were Big 5's here :(

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Dunham's

Alas, I'm nowhere near a Big 5 or a Dunham's. Any drippings for the poor?
The one "Dumbhands" around here (Bridgeville, PA) is a POS store that I believe gets cherry-picked by the manager before anything goes out to the sales floor. Only the most cosmo-soaked crap gets seen by the public.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
16,601 Posts
Big 5

:) Well! First time with the new pic format and it was a " OH SNAP!"

Tuco, Vic, GOOD JOB!

View attachment 859

Gary

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
OK, another image of my one pick up today:

·
None of your business.
16,601 Posts
Now THAT, is interesting! There's a nice partial Czech marking there! I haven't taken mine apart yet.

Gary

And two more pics: Note in one of the above pics, the second scrubbed carbine has a fractured receiver. Always a good idea to clean and thoroughly inspect any milsurp before shooting it. Never shoot any milsurp right out-of-the-box! Both carbines appear to have been rebarrelled. Also looks like they used the Cyrillic "Z" ("3") as a numeral "3". DDR

·
None of your business.
16,601 Posts
OK now. May I say "HOLY CRAP"

Gary

gun nut 73: I have two of the scrubbed ones (both with simple, 4-digit numbers) and what appears to be a number inside a star inside a circle (partial) proof mark(s) on the underside of the chamber, under the woodline. Only thing it reminds me of is a N. Korean star-in-a-circle. Congrats on finding the scrubs!

Gosha: I have a couple like that. When they cut down the M91/30 (or possibly a M91) stocks, they sometimes used the fold-in tabs up front. Some have the push-in style up front, and I believe one has screw-in's up front and nothing in the rear. There are unusual mixes and matches. DDR

·
None of your business.
16,601 Posts
By the way....

Just about every rifle in my area was on hold...

:mad:

Just so happens, the one I bought was on hold in my name. Not me, but...well....heck. It's a dog eat dog world. I asked if he had any 91/59's, he asked if I was Gary....

...the rest is history.

Sorry Gary...who ever you are. But the manager said "...he never comes back". So there. Clean up your act!

And before Cosmo and Bill chime in.... I did NOT take that M39 out of someones hands and claim it as mine! I told the vendor I would take it, put it down so I could get the cash, and the other guy picked it up and said "...are you buying this?"

DUH!

Gary

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, these things have a shrouded - if not mysterious - background and history. Wish we knew more... DDR

·
Registered
307 Posts
man, i wish they had stores like that here in central Texas!

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,837 Posts
Shyquestor, one of the Big 5 managers near me also cherry picks the mil-surps, which is why I seldom go to that particular store. But the other one, which is a lot closer to my home, is happy to let me check their stock, as they know that anything interesting is a quick sale to me, and they get new stock depending on how fast they can move the old stock.

I was really struck by the fact that both of my scrubbed 91/59's had no receiver dates, amking them harder to track, but they both show signs of beaver-chewing, so they were likely early 1940's, which agrees with Ted' site on no-date Izhevsk receivers.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,793 Posts
Sounds like folks are finding some good ones. Enjoy!
Poot

1 - 20 of 50 Posts