Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
22,050 Posts
I think the clue is in the fact they are all stamped 1891/59

Who in East Block would use such 1891 designation?

This mystery of origin is artificially induced: the importer knows where they
got them.

Like the sky will fall if they just said : "These are Czech origin or Bulgarian police rifles "

· Registered
22,050 Posts
My 42 Izhesk 91/59 has one black cap and one brass cap on HG, otherwise externally it looks like the 42 shown above. The bore is frosty but its muzzle is ultra tight. I posted 300 meter test results last week on the board. Many views but near zero response by others who have really gone out to test /shoot their rifles for accuracy.

I shot the same 42 Izhesk 91/59 at 600 yds yesterday with scattered results with LPS ammo and
amazing results with Hungarian Heavy ball surplus. My counter bore M38 carbine barely got LPS into a E silhouette at 300 yds yesterday and it was pointless to take it to 600 yds. M38 is angle of man at 300 yds which is combat effective but hardly accurate like the 91/59 is .

Should anyone who collects actually be interested in my 42 Izhesk 91/59 600 yd results, email me. Accuracy does not seem to be a hot ticket interest item on collector board which is alien to me but collectors set the standard here, not a shooter like me.

· Gold Bullet Member
10,013 Posts
Nice carbines - I stumbled on to two of them years ago - Bought em, fired em, my young nephew helped. They were fun, but went with most of my other refurbs when I sold them off.

The carbine with the striped woodgrain is a real looker!

Pahtu.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks, Pahtu. I'm rather partial to that one. I have yet to fire any of them...may try to do so this afternoon. I can't wait to see how they perform and whether they'll prefer LB or HB ammo.

I really wish there were more fact and less conjecture regarding these little carbines. Theories abound, but the kicker is that they're all marked "1891/59" as no other Mosins, not even Finn rifles, are marked with a model designation. It looks more like a double-date code.

Were these the original AK's to be spread around the globe arming revolutionaries? If memory serves, the AK was being milled around this time...too time-consuming and laborious to allow the kind of production needed to arm thousands of commie insurrectionists. I doubt we'll ever know, which is what makes these so doggone interesting, at least for me.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think the clue is in the fact they are all stamped 1891/59

Who in East Block would use such 1891 designation?

This mystery of origin is artificially induced: the importer knows where they
got them.

Like the sky will fall if they just said : "These are Czech origin or Bulgarian police rifles "
Good morning, sir. I'd be interested to see your accuracy results @ 600 mts, as well as pics of your rifles. I'll go back and check your thread from a week or 2 ago.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.