Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 6 Russian M91-30's. One an ex sniper. I've taken them all apart for cleaning & shooting. I've just gotten one more, no shellac left on the stock any where. Looks like just oil finish. What surprised me was that the trigger housing is shimmed with a silver looking metal. The shims are perfectly fitted into the stock, the opening in it for the trigger is a perfect shape & bolt holes are perfect too. It's not a home made job. Does anyone know how often, why, or which armory did this shim work? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Many of the well-used 91.30's imported several years ago had this type of shim, usually under the magazine or the rear receiver tang. Unlike Finnish rifles, these were not shimmed so much for accuracy but for making up for crushed stock wood so the action screws don't bottom out before the action is tightly seated in the stock.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot Mike

·
Registered
675 Posts
I just picked up a recent import with the same style shim under the front portion of the magazine well. I guess it is a whatever it takes to get it back in working condition. It adds a bit more history to the whole picture for me, thinking of somone sitting there and fitting one into the stock.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I like the ones that have the been there done that look. Fresh out of the crate look just doesn't do it for me.

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
As I have the been there done that a long time ago look, thats how I like my rifles too. Shermysan

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I like the ones that look like me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts