Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm in the final stages of cleaning up my Stutzen from AIM, and have a couple of questions and observations. This thing had more grease in it than any other MILSURP I've ever gotten. Even worse than my L-E # 2A. The stock is in good + (with some decent figure to it) and the bore is mighty close to new. I'm pretty happy with it.

I see where the bottom sling swivel has been removed from the butt, and a fair sized plug inletted. Also the swivel has been removed from the front band. I presume this is typical of the upgrades?

There is a repair around the rear sight, where it almost looks as if a long sight had been removed and a short sight installed. Is this very likely, or am I just seeing a repair?

I wondered about the receiver stamp; it only says "M95" while I had expected it to say "M95 M" or something similar. Is this a common thing? I'd like to learn more about where it may have served, etc. Any pointers or books available?

Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sounds pretty typical of a Bulgarian re-furb (bottom rear swivel removed and plugged, lower swivel removed from barrel band). I remember about a 10" snake of cosmoline coming out the muzzle when I cleaned my M95 for the first time. As far as the repair around the rear sight, it's more likely that a handguard from a long rifle has been modified to fit your stutzen. The M95 receiver stamp is typical. "M95 M" indicates a conversion to 7.92 x 57 (as used by Yugoslavia). Buy Paul Scarlata's book "Mannlicher Military Rifles."

-Devo

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds pretty typical of a Bulgarian re-furb (bottom rear swivel removed and plugged, lower swivel removed from barrel band). I remember about a 10" snake of cosmoline coming out the muzzle when I cleaned my M95 for the first time. As far as the repair around the rear sight, it's more likely that a handguard from a long rifle has been modified to fit your stutzen. The M95 receiver stamp is typical. "M95 M" indicates a conversion to 7.92 x 57 (as used by Yugoslavia). Buy Paul Scarlata's book "Mannlicher Military Rifles."

-Devo

Bulgarian, eh?

Yep, that pretty well fits the description of mine, including the 10" (or more!) of cosmolene in the bore. At least it was still soft, and not petrified.
I'll have to get Scarlata's book - now that I have a good reason to.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts