Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I have my eye on what appears to be an earlier Century M76 with 2 mags, hard case, bayonet etc. Serial number suggests it was made within the first couple hundred rifles. I understand this is when reliability was an issue and am wondering if taking a chance on it is worth it. It's hard to find pricing besides GB that isn't pretty dated. The GB pricing is not what I would call reliable but it is a start. The bad is it can't be shot prior to purchase so I am taking some risks. Is a sub 2k price tag suitable for a Century? Or do I just hold off and see what else may come around? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I had one, bought it used. The receiver seemed soft and it looked to my naked eye like the receiver lugs were out of spec, like squished back by the bolt lugs. It fired okay, but it would swallow every headspace gauge that I ever put into it, and I eventually sold it out of fear that it would eventually cease working.

not worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I had one, bought it used. The receiver seemed soft and it looked to my naked eye like the receiver lugs were out of spec, like squished back by the bolt lugs. It fired okay, but it would swallow every headspace gauge that I ever put into it, and I eventually sold it out of fear that it would eventually cease working.

not worth the risk.
I am assuming that was the problem issue with the earlier rifles? Not a minor issue that.

VBoy, is there a return policy on the rifle? If not I'd pass.....if so why not go for it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen, thanks for the input, however none of these options are available to me. I am weighing the options and the odds of ending up with a lemon. If anyone that has a Century within the first couple hundred put together, I'd like to hear how you made out. The chances of finding an M76 in the wild here is slim and some of the GB prices on the Mitchel's are approaching territory out of my reach. I appreciate the answers.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Gentlemen, thanks for the input, however none of these options are available to me. I am weighing the options and the odds of ending up with a lemon. If anyone that has a Century within the first couple hundred put together, I'd like to hear how you made out. The chances of finding an M76 in the wild here is slim and some of the GB prices on the Mitchel's are approaching territory out of my reach. I appreciate the answers.
Life is a gamble....do you feel lucky ? ;)

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,618 Posts
What receiver is on the build?
A Ohio Rapid Fire or Wiselite Patterson?

The seller cannot confirm headspace or have it checked?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I had always heard it was the ORF receivers that were trash. But truthfully, I didn’t trust any of them after that.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,618 Posts
ORF had some issues withbtheir M76 teceivets.
There were about 4 patterns/changes over time.
Most were not hard to correct., though detecting the problem was not simple until it was determined.
Some were as simple as incomplete milling at the right upper rail just behind the forward pillar.
This caused the carrier to cam upward as the bolt went into battery and jammed the carrier and bolt.

I have built several on ORF and a hybrid in 7.62x54r on a Wiselite/ Patterson.
All run fine.

Also have a tortort M76 build.
The best by far in authenticity and in spec for an easy build.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ORF....Todd produced three versions....1st version with the pin holes off.....not quite exact copy machining wise but a good effort....2nd version maybe 8 to 10 made....super copy, litening cuts almost perfect, a bit short on the left side of the receiver at the rear sight housing. Easily fixed....best receiver he made, discontinued in favor of the oblong type cuts, now Assualt weapons of Ohio.....the 2nd version wasn't tweaked and discontinued in favor of ease of manufacturing. Century dropped him and went to the patterson receivers. The Tort Torts are probably the best ones available now, maybe ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts