Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone got in on the 199.00 m72's kits from centerfire ,i got in on the 79.00 m70 last year and had good luck on two of them

·
Registered
209 Posts
I posted this on sksboards.com aswell.

Ok! Kit run down time.

For ease of understanding, I will refer to the first kit that I got as kit #1 (hand picked kit) which came from Florida Gun Works, and the second kit that I got (from center fire systems) as kit #2.

Kits #1 arrived thursday, kit #2 arrived today, friday.

Also, both kits came with matching barrels, trunnions, bolt carriers, gas tubes, and butt stocks.

Packaging:

Kit #1 was poorly packaged. It came in a square box in which the barrel was at a diagonal and deforming the box. Also, the bag of parts were loose, as well as the some the parts floating around freely in the box, with holes hastily patched with tape. With that said, I found the disconnector spring making its way out of the box when I was opening this bundle of joy. Also, the barrel and wood rubbed against the butt stock and created some gouges in the wood. As a side note, it was even noted on the invoice that there might be bits floating around in the box.

Kit #2 was awesomely packaged. It came in a rectangular box with the barrel and butt stock buffered and next to each other, as well as tightly packaged. There's not much to say, they were neatly and tightly rapped, fitted in to the box, and padded all around.

Included bits:

Kit #1 came with all the bits. All the internals included, and even an extra spring. The barrel came with a cleaning rod and muzzle nut installed. The barrel also had the original bi-pod installed on the barrel

Kit #2 came with not so many bits. It included the trigger, hammer, hammer spring, selector, semi-auto disconnector, disconnector spring, and another spring (the one you can make in to a shepard's hook), and 2 retaining pins. It included no cleaning rod, and the bi-pod has been ground/cut off (and the barrel bares the scares to prove it). It does, however, include an after market bi-pod identical to the one on kit #1 (and for reasons I might get in to later, may be put on kit #1).

Condition of furniture:

Both kits have darker, dirty wood.

Kit #1 overall looks well used, besides some dings from poor packaging, it has normal wear like kit #2.

Kit #2 had a crack in the lower hand guard that was easily repaired by some pressure and wood glue. The upper hand guard on par with the rest of the stock. The butt stock has a serbian carving in it. It also has a fresh (oops?) gouge on the butt stock, and various dings, dents, and digs. It looks well used (but in a good way ;)).

Condition of Metal:

Kit #1 has an excellent blu on the barrel. 95% on the exposed part between the front sight and gas port, and looks 100% from the fins back to the trunnion. The gas tube is also in good shape on the outside, and slightly dirty on the inside. The bi-pod is in functioning condition, but has rust along the bottom (for a hand picked kit, I am not happy about this). The bipod also has a rivet that is only half in, which I believe I can fix, but again, don't know. I may or may not replace it with the bi-pod from kit #2. The trigger guard was poorly cut, as it looks like the selector stop may or may not have been hit, it's a close call and I won't know until I get the melted metal off the top of it (it's still there!). On kit #1 the bolt carrier is 50% stained by rust. It's smooth, but you can see where corrosion had, or was happening (for a hand picked kit, I am not happy about this). All the internal bits are in rather good shape, but are going to be replaced anyways.

Kit #2 has worn bluing on the barrel. From the front sight block to the gas port I'd say there's ~90% percent of the finish, from the fins to the trunnion is ~70%. The gas tube, as like kit #1 was gunky on the inside, but looks good on the outside. The trigger guard was cut beautifully, there is plenty of room around the selector stop, as well as a lot of rear receiver to work with. The rear trunnion is also ok, and in good shape. The bolt on this kit was actually cleaner than the kit #1, which was amazing. The dust cover on kit #2 also has a worn finish, but nothing major. All the bits (what there was of them) are in good shape, but again, will get replaced anyways.

Now to the meat of this. The bores.

The Bores.

Kit #1 had what looked like a good bore. I scrubbed, foamed, scrubbed, patched, and patched some more. The bore actually GOT WORSE. My hopes were bleak at that point, and thoughts of sending it back were forefront in my mind. I foamed the bore some more, cleaned some more, and it didn't look like it was getting any better. Infact, I saw no rifling at all, only run down areas and sewage. At that point I was pretty low (and had not gotten kit #2) and fired off an email to kit #1's company to find out about exchanges. So I got kit #2, started cleaning it, and decided to give kit #1 some more tries. I scrubbed and scrubbed, and it started to finally shine through. Also much anguish, foaming and scrubbing, and still sitting with a foamed bore right now, the barrel is starting to show some good stuff. I broke down for my own piece of mind and bought 20 rounds of remington 7.62x39mm ammo (I don't store any guns or ammo at my current location) so I could do an unscientific muzzle test. Despite my doubts, kit #1 did NOT swallow the bullet, infact, it had plenty of bullet outside of the muzzle, I repeated this with multiple different rounds (all 20 ;)) and got the same result. That satisfied me and I think it made my decision to not send the kit back.

Kit #2 had rifling showing from the get go. I scrubbed, foamed, scrubbed, patched, and foamed a lot more (and still foaming), and rifling is showing and the bore looks good. I did the same bullet test on the muzzle with all the rounds again, and it ate almost all the rounds right up to the rim. But the rifling still looks strong.

Misc:

I didn't know where to put this, but both rear sights have bent windage knobs. Were they damaged while packaged in yugoslavia? Is that how they were made? Both are bent about the same around at the knob.

Final Thoughts:

At first I was very angry at kit #1 and was almost going to immediately exchange it, but after the barrel test, am fairly happy. The carrier is not the greatest, as well as the selector stop being questionable, but these are things I can deal with. Also, the bi-pod having rust all down the bottom does not set well for me. This was supposed to be a hand pick kit. But this is tempered by kit #2 coming with an extra.

Kit #2 bares scars from whoever took the bi-pod off with a grinder, I sorta like it. They look blu'd over, so I don't know who did it. I'm just happy that the kit came with a stock carving on it, yay!

So all in all: Kit #1, despite my misgivings, I believe they can be over come, and like the kit. Kit #2 put me in a good mood from the start. I like both! If it's price you're worried about, go with center fire systems. If it wasn't for the bullet test, I believe it might be prudent to either exchange or return kit #1 and get a couple more from center fire before they run out! I can't drop the money on another kit from florida gun works, but I may consider another one from center fire systems come 1 or 2 months from now when I have more monies.

My fingers are tired.

·
Silver Bullet Member
808 Posts
Thanks for the in depth review. I was on the fence about getting a centerfire kit but your review just inspired me to order one. Hopefully I will have the same luck as you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Also 'SoulStar2100' on sksboards got an m72 from centerfire, he had this to say (hope he doesn't mind i repost this):

"well, it has all the needed inside pieces in that baggie.

barrels are pretty good for being yugoslavian haha

my bipod wasnt cut off, it was more of like knocked off, still had the attachment on the barrel.

Hey did yours have a carved stock? I can never ever get a yugo without one! T_T Not complaining, they are kind of neat heh......"

·
Registered
72 Posts
main question were these miller or stamped

the newspaper says milled, but also includes a stamped trunion, and the web site says stamped ??

·
Registered
209 Posts
main question were these miller or stamped

the newspaper says milled, but also includes a stamped trunion, and the web site says stamped ??
I emailed and asked, when I did I was told the kits that came in were both front and rear trunnion for stamped kits, as well as barrel in the front trunnion. The numbers on both my kits (one of which is from center fire) match.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad you liked the kit!

Just thought I'd shed some light on the stamped/milled situation. We were told by our supplier that these were going to be milled kits with a front trunion for the stamped receiver thrown in, so that's what we put in the catalog when it went to print.
When they showed up they turned out to be stamped kits, so we updated the web site with the new information.

Thanks,

Magnus

V

·
0 Posts
I would buy from centerfire for shure . I WOULD WARN OTHERS FROM BUYING FROM FLORIDA GUNWORKS. I had problems with them .Big problems, involving fraud and florida States atorney . Do google search on these crooks before you loose your money.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Alright! Looks like I'll be fixing up kit #1 with the bi-pod from kit #2 and not talking to them again.

Speaking of which, top job from center fire for including a brand new in bag (correct) bi-pod! Functionally there is nothing different from my RPK from florida gun works vs. the one from center fire + the included bi-pod.

I had some more direct words here about Florida Gun Works, but I will let me review of both kits do the talking, namely the condition of the bolt carrier, bi-pod, and packaging.

On a different note, I'm very happy to have the kit, thanks Magnus. :)

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
mriddick......every time I see that licking cow I have to bust out laughing.....someday I have to know the story behind it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting pics. I've been told that the "CCCC" carving on it stands for "Only unity saves the serbs" and is a sign of a weapon that was used by Srpska paramilitaries during the Yugoslav civil war. Quite a bit of history there...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts