Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trolling my local pawn shop I spied a rifle in the rack that was more wood than metal. As usual, first ones I grab. It's an Amberg M71/84, all matching (at least above the woodline) and bonus- brass muzzle protector. Pawn shop took my $250 and headed for home. Upon inspecting I can't see any witness marks on the bolt face. Bore is pristine (no doubt thanks to the brass muzzle protector). May be un-fired? Who knows. Pics aren't great, I'll post more once I get it cleaned up a little.
Wood Musical instrument Air gun Shotgun Wind instrument

Musical instrument Wood Air gun Shotgun Wind instrument

Hand Wood Bookcase Shelf Publication
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Spoke Nickel

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had one years - decades - ago. Marvelous old dear. If you plan on shooting it at all, I shot mine with care, the main issue may be ammunition availability. Hopefully things have changed, but at the time I had mine, ammunition was nearly impossible to find but I could buy loading dies. Cases were the problem. I have not looked in years, but good luck.

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,188 Posts
I once bought one at a gun shop for $35. I asked, "Are you selling that" ? and he said, "It's just a wall hanger . $35". I bought it and sold it to Paul Milbury of Historical Arms who then sold it to the studios for the movie, "The Last Samuri " with Tom Cruise . Never pass up a gun shop, garage sale, pawn shop or swap meet. You never know what's hiding in plain sight.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just be careful when you check operation of the magazine cutoff lever. Not telling how long since it was last operated. If it does not move with a few pounds pressure, leave it be. Sometimes pushing lightly down on the ramp at the same time will help. The levers can break, are a intricate part and costly to try and have repaired since they are made of "unobtanium"...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Kind of a sidebar to these rifles, but now that you have one am sure you would like to shoot it, too! However, ammo is not cheap and reloading is almost a must. A friend of mine had a clever solution with his M1973 trapdoor Springfield. He took primed cases and utilizing a small powder charge, filler, and .45 cal. lead ball, made great (more or less) gallery ammunition. One reason why he made them was residing in L.A. County (Antelope Valley), he would have to go a ways out to shoot. So, with the reduced cartridge, the report was negligible and he found a couple abandoned former farms with low hills and gullies where there was ample land and privacy to shoot. My thought was, if he could do this with the Springfield, it should work equally well with the IG 71/84 11mm cartridge as well...light load and low pressure with no resizing, etc. the cases...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
148- You're kidding. I figured they were rare but... !!
I kid not. I don’t yet have a 71/84 but was following the auction as I’d never seen a muzzle cover for one. So I don’t know if that was high, normal or even low amount for one. I’ve seen Gew88 covers sell for $300+ on eBay and they are way more common.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts