Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ifs there any way to tighten the guard and plate assembly on an M7 bayonet? TM 9-1005-237-23&P (Maintenance Manual for M6, M7 and M9) says to "evacuate bayonet to direct support maintenance".
Not being able to send it out to that, what can I do to tighten up the guard and plate?

· Platinum Bullet member
7,010 Posts
Not much you can do, without grip removal, and expert hammer use. The guard has a "U" shaped tensioner, and the pommel is peened on. For a quick cosmetic fix, there's always glue. Unless your bayonet has sentimental, and or historical value... It's an M7, they're a dime a dozen, get a new one. M.P.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, no sentimental/historic value to this one. I picked up a Mossy 590 recently and decided on the bayonet since the SG has the mount.

Not having handled many of these, I didn't think they could loosen up like this. I'll go for a new one and either just try MIG welding this one solid, or find a way to tear this one down and turn it into a knife project.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Not much you can do, without grip removal, and expert hammer use. The guard has a "U" shaped tensioner, and the pommel is peened on. For a quick cosmetic fix, there's always glue. Unless your bayonet has sentimental, and or historical value... It's an M7, they're a dime a dozen, get a new one. M.P.
Forget the glue. Get something called JB Weld fot 5 bucks at ACE Hardware. This epoxy is made for metal repairs. That should withstand routine use. Otherwise maybe a spot weld under the plastic grips will do the job...

· Registered
207 Posts
Forget the glue. Get something called JB Weld fot 5 bucks at ACE Hardware. This epoxy is made for metal repairs. That should withstand routine use. Otherwise maybe a spot weld under the plastic grips will do the job...
What's the color of the JB Weld when it cures? I have a loose guard on a Mark 1 I might want to try it on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.