Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this M48A because I thought the stock was maybe rare or unusual; it looks like solid walnut to me. I thought these later Mausers were of cheaper wood or laminated. This stock has all kinds of markings on it. The rifle is in excellent condition. I think I made a good buy at $184; it came with an original sling too.

·
Silver Bullet member
564 Posts
$ 184.00 isn't a bad price for any rifle in good shape. Many of the M48's had elm stocks; the first run 'A' XXXX serials built in the early 50's had walnut stocks. I have seen them in walnut in various serial blocks, also.

I imagine it was just a matter of what happened to be available at the time they were making the stocks, elm, walnut, or whatever.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good find.

I have one that looks identical. I too liked the look of the wood, its one of my favorites.

Hope it shoots well for you.

Not rare, but not common either.

No laminates on Yugo M48s ever BTW.

Here is a link to M48 stock woods used.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirear...ic/10252/t/stock-woods-used-by-the-Yugos.html

Yours also looks like it has a very smooth finnish on it, the same as mine. It came fromt the importer that way and that is unusual, but not rare.

The prices of exc. M48s are now climbing due to supply and demand, you made a very good buy. IMO

Just out of curiosity. What is the import stamp on the front of the barrel, if any.?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'm still learning about the different types of Mausers, by buying and then asking! Maybe that's backwards, but, I figured if I didn't buy 'em when I see 'em, they may be gone!:rolleyes:
666, the importer is Intrac, Knox TN. Had to look hard to find it, under the cleaning rod on the bottom of the barrel.
Speaking of serial #'s, all the places where it's stamped says 5589, but on the receiver it's like this-

That prefix must be a Yugo letter before the 5589, what is it called?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Very nice and a great buy.

"the first run 'A' XXXX serials built in the early 50's had walnut stocks."
That was the first 10,000 M48s, not the A model started in '52.
But they crop up all through the series. I've seen quite a few on model B's.

I'd call the prefix letter a Cyrillic "G".

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks nuthernug, good call! I couldn't figure out if it was a "G" or "C" on the bolt. That's the only other place there is a prefix.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's a beautiful rifle. I was fortunate enough to get a nice M48B in trade recently and it's already my favorite! Now I just need an M48 and an M48A to keep it company :p

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, ab4ka, when I bought two AR-15's they said I had "black rifle disease", when I bought two Swiss K-31's they said I had "Swiss flu", now I have three Mausers, what disease do we have?:eek:

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't know, but I have it. I'm waiting on my fourth Mauser to get here. A Czech post war 98k (winter trigger guard). $220 to my door. A C&R gets you in trouble $$$$

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, ab4ka, when I bought two AR-15's they said I had "black rifle disease", when I bought two Swiss K-31's they said I had "Swiss flu", now I have three Mausers, what disease do we have?:eek:
If you're like me, now it's just called being poor :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know, but I have it. I'm waiting on my fourth Mauser to get here. A Czech post war 98k (winter trigger guard). $220 to my door. A C&R gets you in trouble $$$$
Nice! Where did you get that from if I may ask?

ETA: Are the ones from Samco any good?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Found it for sale on another board. Need it like a hole in my head. A buddy bought one like it and it was mint and a nice shooter. I've two other 8mm k98's but for the $$$ I'll take a gamble.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Thanks nuthernug, good call! I couldn't figure out if it was a "G" or "C" on the bolt. That's the only other place there is a prefix.
Welll not so good a call. The Cyrillic on the receiver ring is for "G". The one on the bolt looks like a "C" which is their "S". And that doesn't make much sense since the rifle matches. Explain it I can't unless a guy got his Cyrillic & Latin stamps crossed.
Branko allowed Cyrillic stamps were used on rifles intended for national service and Latin letters on those destined for export.
Sorry I can't help more.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well nuthernug, I took another pic, and in this one the letter does look more like a "G". But you're saying a c is a s, no tellin' what a g is!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you sir. Well, it must be an American G then! I appreciate the help.:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got an M48 that has the serial number "T324xx" and an M48BO with the number "V433xx" but there is some light pitting over the far left corner of the numbers on that one so it could actually be "AV433xx" but I can't tell for sure.

Any idea of the dates on mine?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looking at the picture with the trigger guard, I think you have a M48B there. The rifle will still be marked M48A. They didn't change that even after they started making the B model. Your trigger guard looks stamped. It probably was made in 1957.
"Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles" by Branko

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Looking at the picture with the trigger guard, I think you have a M48B there. The rifle will still be marked M48A. They didn't change that even after they started making the B model. Your trigger guard looks stamped. It probably was made in 1957.
"Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles" by Branko
He's right about that. I hadn't brought that pic up. I should have.

I have seen a number of model B's wearing rather nice walnut stocks. That poses a bit of a mystery. If only the first 10,000 stacks in the M48 series were made of walnut, why are so many turning up on model B's? And those are uniformly in nice shape, not beat up like you'd expect a recycled service stock to be.

As for the V prefixed M48bo, that's very common. I have one myself. Branko noted the Latin prefixes on these rifles are contract indicators possibly added before delivery and having nothing to do with production. The V is possibly the most common bo prefix.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts