Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ran across a great price for a very good condition m48 barrel and got it for my dad for fathers day.

He has an m48 with a barrel in pretty bad shape mostly the crown its scratched up, barrel is black, and the rifling in front of the camber is non-existent. The rifle will only shoot a 4" in group at 50 yrds.

I am left with two thoughts:
First thought- Is the old barrel worth trying to sell on the internet? or should i try doing some personal gun smithing and experiment with chopping the barrel down and recrowning it with a brass wood screw? or retire it to the crap pile.

Second thought- We have been reloading, mostly for fun, and the die we have only does neck sizing. We have 30 cases of once fired brass for the m48. I took one and dropped it in the new barrel chamber and it only went in about half way. Before installing the new barrel, could I take all the brass and force it into the barrel, basically using it as a die? Then install the new barrel, and continue reloading.

Thank you
Gymmeh

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
You must have a lot of time on your hands.

You can buy a unissued never fired M48 for around $200 and most of these are tack drivers.

Why in the world would you go through all this trouble, just to end up with a rifle that will shoot about as well as a used $100 M48.

There is a Yugo M48 unissued, never fired barrel advertised on my local board for $200.

Unless you are into tinkering just for fun, your project is not cost productive, IMO.

Changing barrels on a M48 is not easy. Been there done that.

On a side note. I assume you know, if the muzzle is shot out, counterboring will sometimes help to get it to shoot decent. However when a barrel has had that much use, the throat erosion is substantial and the rifle will NEVER be a good shooter. NO way to fix that except get a new barrel.

I don't think the rules allow me post the link to the WTS on my local board for the unissued M48. But if you are interested, PM me and I'll point you there.

·
Registered
950 Posts
If the rifling is gone from the chamber I believe you are about out of luck on this one. Look at the E.R. Shaw (rifle) barrel co. site;why not rebarrel ? Maybe Dad would like a "custom" like a 35 whelen or a .270 in military trim. The parts would not be worth re-selling, and it sounds like the chamber/throat are about gone in this barrel. Reloading will only get you so far in shooting a worn out bore, there has to be rifling to engage the bullet. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I re read your OP. Something is not right.

More info. on your new barrel is needed. 8mm brass should chamber, not just go half way. Something is not right.

Your old barrel is toast and worthless. Used M48 barrels are cheap.

To change barrels with another used barrel is a lot of work and the results are questionable in the accuracy dept.

Using a new M48 barrel or an aftermarked new barrel as suggested, is a good option if you want a shooter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RH,

Just to make sure its clear, the brass that i tried was once fired brass from the m48 barrel on the rifle.

I already reload for a k98 and I was planning on making a batch for his m48. The only problem is I only have a die that neck sizes but it does not re-size the whole case. So the Once fired brass from his old barrel will not fit in his new barrel without some kind of re-forming.

As to buying another yugo... I tried to talk him into letting my buy him one of the new Samco m24/47's and letting me sell his m48 as is, but he is kinda stubborn and would only let me change the barrel. I guess he has a little sentimental attachment to it. He got it about 10 yrs ago, when they were dirt cheap, and he somehow managed to get two deer with it. Thats the Long story short...

I found a barrel that was as good as the one on my 98 for 45$ so i figured what the hay.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
So I ran across a great price for a very good condition m48 barrel and got it for my dad for fathers day.

He has an m48 with a barrel in pretty bad shape mostly the crown its scratched up, barrel is black, and the rifling in front of the camber is non-existent. The rifle will only shoot a 4" in group at 50 yrds.

I am left with two thoughts:
First thought- Is the old barrel worth trying to sell on the internet? or should i try doing some personal gun smithing and experiment with chopping the barrel down and recrowning it with a brass wood screw? or retire it to the crap pile.

Second thought- We have been reloading, mostly for fun, and the die we have only does neck sizing. We have 30 cases of once fired brass for the m48. I took one and dropped it in the new barrel chamber and it only went in about half way. Before installing the new barrel, could I take all the brass and force it into the barrel, basically using it as a die? Then install the new barrel, and continue reloading.

Thank you
Gymmeh

* Is the barrel "black" because it is fouled or because it is rusted and pitted? If it is rusted it is scrap. If fouled it could respond well to a good cleaning.
* A bad crown can sling bullets all over the place. A recrown or counterbore can help.
* Nearly all Mausers have a long leade/throat in front of the chamber which can appear to be worn rifling. I have a 1909 Argy that has a very worn throat and still delivers 3 in groups at 100 yds. It is more critical to have good rifling at the muzzle end.
* Are you going to try and re-barrel yourself or hire it out? If you diy you need to buy about $150 worth of tools and gauges. A 'smith will likely charge at least $75. The M48 barrel has an extractor cut that will have to be timed correctly. This usually requires a lathe and chamber reamer.
* Hammering the spent cases in the chamber will help a bit, but due to springback of the brass, they will still be a little oversized. You also run the risk of setting the shoulder back. 8x57 brass is relatively cheap.

·
Silver Bullet member
837 Posts
The old barrel is a tent peg. You well need a full resize on your brass. The new barrel has a tighter chamber than to old worn out one.

RH7777 said:
end up with a rifle that will shoot about as well as a used $100 M48
Like me, you need to get out more. Those M48's are $200 these days.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,494 Posts
A set of 8x57 dies from Lee (or maybe RCBS, Hornaday, or CH-4D at a funshow) won't be much - and worth having becasue it means yo can use brass from any gun. Then use the neck-size only after you get your new barrel installed and are shooting it.

i'd have a 'smith fit and head-space the replacement barrel.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
If it was a Lee Enfield I'd say dont worry about the brass. Lots were made with grossly oversized chambers to stop dirty ammo from getting stuck, but I've never heard of 8mm mausers with oversize chambers. Maybe they were fired from a machine gun and the combination of extra headspace and fast cycling resulted in oversizing them. But most likely the new barrel is short chambered and needs to have a finishing reamer run in to get the correct minimum chamber size. have agunsmith check it or do a chamber casting yourself with Cerrosafe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts