Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,454 Posts
IIRC, a large number of these were in excellent condition. Don't know own about unissued, but a lot came in with those honey oak looking stocks with near 100% Blue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC, a large number of these were in excellent condition. Don't know own about unissued, but a lot came in with those honey oak looking stocks with near 100% Blue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
When did these show up and what were they selling them for? I don't remember those.????

·
Silver Bullet member
1,454 Posts
When did these show up and what were they selling them for? I don't remember those.????
I don't remember, maybe in the early part of the century? There were so many nice ones that the speculation was that they were over there using the old machine tools and turning them out new...
Branko's book came out in 2005. Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles Paperback – June 1, 2005 by Branko Bogdanovic, IDK what they went for at the beginning, but you could get a near new one with sling, pouches, cleaning kit, and bayonet for around $150. Kinda like the 91/30's of the recent flood.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't remember, maybe in the early part of the century? There were so many nice ones that the speculation was that they were over there using the old machine tools and turning them out new...
Branko's book came out in 2005. Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles Paperback – June 1, 2005 by Branko Bogdanovic
I'll look it up, thanks.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
There were a lot of minty ones sold back when. There was speculation that they were assembled from spare parts for export. I think the unissued ones sold for $279, IIRC, including bayo, sling, ammo pouch, cleaning kit, etc. A well-used one went for $79. Maybe 20 years ago, maybe even more.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The word I heard was Mitchells was importing these and having them made by the Yugo's long after they quite using them, more likely they were just new old stock, imported. Mitchell did import most all of the 'as new' ones altho others sold some of them also. I have seen many 48A's with walnut stocks lately, also 'as new'.

·
Silver Bullet member
7,798 Posts
Cherry's had some of the very nicest ones...Lots of minty cozmoline filled rifles at one time

Mitchelles sold many that they did not molest as they were already NIB condition..they simply took them Cozmo and all and re-boxed them

Soon tho they went to refinishing and restamping..poorly I'll add..the stocks became ugly patchy things with dark cozmo stains bleeding into the craptastic finish used by MM

I named it Mitchell's Seep...gross looking

·
Registered
356 Posts
The M48 in its numerous variations is one of my favorite rifles. I started collecting them in about 2004. I paid $102.34 for my first one (almost new condition, price included shipping!). I currently have seven, as well as a Serbian Model 24, a 24/47, a 24/52C, and a Yugo K98. Although prices have gone up, they are still among the most affordable 8MM Mausers around. For a long time it was relatively easy to get most of the variations at reasonable prices. Not so much anymore.

The history of the Yugo small arms industry is fascinating. In addition to the Mausers, I have several Yugo SKS rifles, an RPK, an M53 SARAC, and an M57 pistol.

M48 BO Mauser Preduzece 44 (Kragujevac)
M48 BO Mauser - Iraqi Marked Zastava
M48 BO Mauser - Syrian Marked Zastava
M48 Mauser Preduzece 44 (Kragujevac)
M48 Mauser - Sniper Zastava
M48A Mauser Preduzece 44 (Kragujevac)
M48B Mauser (marked M48A) Preduzece 44 (Kragujevac)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
OK. I think I have it figured out......they are nice rifles but not if they have been made by Mitchell!
I did not say "made by Mitchell", I said "made for Mitchell". And I did not say it was 'fact' only said it was the 'word I heard'. Please read correctly and do not misquote me!

I purchased one of the BO series back in the 60's at a hardware store. No one seemed to know who made them at the time, sales man told me the they were captured by Israel in one of their wars (67 war? not up on that history). I ID'ed it as Czech, but found out much later that was incorrect. Again, that was what I was told, back in the day when little was known about mil-surp Mausers. It was in good condition but certainly not 'as new'. I never saw a lot of them for sale at that time.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,197 Posts
I managed to snag a Cherry's import about 10 yrs. ago, sweet one. In fact it has been a safe queen ever since, never put a round through it. Also got a real nice 24/47 around the same time, same fate for that one too ... lol.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I picked up my M48BO at a local gun show about 8 or so years ago and was one of Cherry's imports.Loaded with cosmoline and beautiful bore. Also came with the bayonet, sling, oiler and ammo pouch. Paid $265 at the time which may or may not had been a good deal at the time. Still have it and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Has the hairy stock which to me looks like it was never finish sanded or finished. Frank

·
Silver Bullet Member
12,176 Posts
I bought one from Aim Surplus in the early 2000s. It was not a Mitchells (wood was cosmoline soaked) but it did appear to be unissued. Bore and bolt face were mint.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.