Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a M48 project. This one has a mark on the receiver that I have never seen before. It looks like a backwards b. Has anyone seen one like this and know its meaning?

The M48 is also stamped rather crooked. It has a 3 didget serial # so maybe the early ones where like that?

The barrel has been replaced at some point. I am trying to determine if it is an original barrel or a non-Yugo replacement. It has no blueing on it at all and the following marks. Do these look like original markings?

Thanks for any inputs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I look at it the # in the last picture it seems to have a Star of David at the end. Does anyone know if Israel re-barreled any M48s? I also now wonder if this could be chambered in 7.62?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tale
Hi.

My 8x57JS IDF 98K mauser barrel have same kind "y026416*" stamp. Perhaps You have IDF capture (ex syrian?) M48 yugo mauser?

Interesting, is your barrel blued or left unblued?​

Hi!

Barrel is dark blued. Rifle is ex "dou43" and later IDF re-stored: IDF hardwood stock with fingergrooves, IDF made cupped buttplate, trigger, excrator and IDF made 8x57JS barrel with "*020862y" stamp.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
The symbol at the beginning of the barrel number is an Israeli property mark. Your barrel is Israeli and probably 7.62 NATO. The photos do not show Syrian or Iraqi markings, so no telling who the Israelis captured it from or where it went after leaving Yugoslavia.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for the input. I love the history of these old rifles. Hopefully someone will know if Israel did re-barrel some M48s. I do not know the history on this rifle so I am wondering if someone did this after it was imported to the US. The receiver is not stamped 7.62 so I am now thinking it was redid here. Looking at Israeli Mauser pictures it seems all of them are remarked on the receiver.

Update: Just tried a 7.62 Nato round and it will not fit in the chamber. A 8mm fits. So it looks like it is Israeli but still chambered in 8mm.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,462 Posts
Who was the importer of the rifle? If it's a recent import the importers info will be stamped somewhere on it. Check the barrel near the location of the bayonet lug.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who was the importer of the rifle? If it's a recent import the importers info will be stamped somewhere on it. Check the barrel near the location of the bayonet lug.
Unfortunately, there is no import mark on it. Sights were not on all the way so I was able to just tap them off and get a good look at the barrel. (Thats going to be another adventure getting them back on strait). No import marks at all on the barrel or receiver. Doesn't seem to be any type of Israeli marks on the receiver either. I guess its kind of strange to me since the barrel is in the white with no indication of ever being finished and Israeli marked but still in 8mm.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,462 Posts
Since the rear sight assembly was not soldered to the barrel I would assume the barrel was not a Israeli factory installation. I would be sure to have the rifles head space checked before you fire it.

As you said without any Israeli marks on the receiver I would not believe the Israeli's had anything to do with this rifle. Probably just had a surplus Israeli barrel installed by someone here in the US.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.