Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking through one dealers inventory of M44's I happened to find two years that I didn't have. One was a 1943 and the other a 1948. I bought the 43. It was in a beautiful laminated stock. Not a big show but any show is better than none.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Nice find and congrats on a dealer that will allow you to paw through his stack. I asked a guy yesterday about it, and he goes "I guess I can throw in a 25 handpick fee". I just smirked and looked at his 2! yes only 2 that were in boxes and not out on the table. Nothing special, so I said thanks and went on my way. He said, "Yeah" real condescendingly as I walked away.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't go through any that were in boxes, just the ones on top that he had out for sale. I would have loved to have seen them all, but I didn't feel comfortable asking to look through the others.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I always ask. They usually say yes and sometimes pull more out from under the table. Of course that has led to a "sympathy purchase" of an $80 M44 too after a guy dug out a dozen rifles for me. Heck, he had the best prices in the show, was a nice guy, and it was an interesting piece even if it was a duplicate (1945 low wall).

Some dealers do get ticked, or slowly get ticked if you ask over and over and never buy anything. Sorry, but I'm not buying another 1943 Izhevsk M91/30 unless there's something special about it! I figure if they're ticked off enough not to let me look, then it doesn't matter what they have anyway as I won't be buying it.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
One of the dealers at the shows I frequent came out while we were waiting in line to pay admission, and gave Charlie and myself free passes to get in the show. He was taking a smoke break and it just happened he saw us and recognized us. Charlie has bought from him frequently. This same dealer has been criticized on this board for an attitude, which I have never noticed.

The pass saved us $14 in admission.

regards
badger

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
I have found that when you try to get it going around and it doesn't come back around, you can make a fairly accurate judgement of character without the other person even realizing what you have accomplished.

regards
badger

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Good customer service, or lack of it, provide more than enough foundation for a good decision.

Poot

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
While looking through one dealers inventory of M44's I happened to find two years that I didn't have. One was a 1943 and the other a 1948. I bought the 43. It was in a beautiful laminated stock. Not a big show but any show is better than none.
Great finds!
DARK SUN??-- I have a good rapor with them. Should have looked closer as Rockcrusher found a nice '42 ex PU Izhevsk from them. I'm up to my ears in '43 m44s, but there is always room and $ for one more at their prices. Think I got a MO marked M38 from them a couple of years back. I'll look at their ENTIRE Inventory this weekend at the Hampton (VA) show.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dark Sun is on my Xmas Card mailing list ! Am very
happy with the way i was treated yesterday. Can over-
look them not taking a C&R with the OTD price on
the '42 ex PU. Am a Happy Camper !!! RC

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I bought the 1943 M44 from Dark Sun. I would have gotten the 1948 dated one as well but I spent too much money already this month on guns. A week ago I bought a German G43 from a veteran's family member and have been upgrading it. I was able to find a cleaning rod for it at the show and one of the vendors is bringing me a sling for it to the Hampton show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts