Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've seen on some other boards advocation of inexpensive surplus arms for defense.

These included the SKS, the AK-47 and its variants, M1 and its variants, the 1903 Springfield, and the Mosin-Nagant.

Ok... so I can see the SKS and AK, and even the M1. I've run through several scenarios, and I just can't think of a time when I might use my M44 for defense in a practical way.

Let's say I wake up in the middle of the night to strange noises within the house. I grab my M44 and affix the bayonet.

I find a couple people pilfering the entertainment center, let's say, and they become hostile and produce weapons. I shoot one in self-defense. Now, I have to work the action. I probably won't have time to do this: First, I'm a lefty and work the action much as that designated marksman on Saving Private Ryan, second, a long action is not the fastest to work. Third, I only have four shots before I must reload, and that takes awhile (comparatively speaking). The four shots comes from not having a round already chambered.

So I can use the bayonet and buttstock. I'm trained in martial arts and martial arts weaponry, and this thing is just another spear/staff to me.

Still, not the best scenario. And, I can't seem to come up with any scenario where I might have to throw on my ammo pouches and shoot at distance.

It seems to me that, while these advocates have a good grip on using the AK and the SKS for home defense, the M44 is less than well-equipped.

I think it would be better to use my "'smithed to perfection" Taurus PT92 loaded with premium HP ammunition or, better yet, my folding-stock, extended magazine, heat shield-equipped, buckshot-loaded, pump action 12 gauge shotgun.

The M44 can stay put for plinking and taking out wild dogs and coyotes at 25-200yds.

Is there something I'm missing about these old warhorses, or are some people just fantasizing about using the bayonet and buttplate?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Dude, if you touch off an M44 inside your house towards somebody, and there is ANYONE still left in the room that has not run out the door (or window) you should probably drop it and turn around and start running yourself!
In addition, I hope your neighbors have bullet proof walls, because your walls will probably not stop a 54r round.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude, if you touch off an M44 inside your house towards somebody, and there is ANYONE still left in the room that has not run out the door (or window) you should probably drop it and turn around and start running yourself!
In addition, I hope your neighbors have bullet proof walls, because your walls will probably not stop a 54r round.
I live in the country and have limestone walls. I may post some handgun tests here sometime if you want to see part of my place, but only if I can find an appropriate forum for testing on this board.

Thanks for the concern for the neighbors. I'd be more concerned about my ears!

Josh <><

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I don't think I would use a milsurp rifle for home defense. I would go with a nice 12 gauge shotgun.

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Not to mention the fireball...I think the first shot would need to count as your eyes might take some time to re-adjust afterwards.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Again. Depends on how much you like your neighbors. I have seen 7.62x54r go through concrete blocks, not sure how different limestone would be. I would stick with a shotgun in that situation.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The M44 is perfect for defense, if you're defending the Rodina from fascist aggression with several hundred thousand of your closest friends. For home, I concur with Spetznatz, get a pump action 12 guage.

-Devo

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a good 12 gauge. I just didn't understand why people advocated using a Mosin-Nagant in any of its forms. Thought maybe I was missing something!

Thanks again,

Josh <><

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,981 Posts
I have more MN's that I will admit to, but none are for home defense. While the 12 ga. is very effective, it also takes two hands to handle one properly.

I have been very fortunate in that I have not been a defense situation that needed more than my Colt Gov't .45ACP.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ithaca 16ga. for here. Or Colt 1911.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Personally I think tactical nukes are overkill and prefer a defense in layers so that I can make strategic withdrawals and lure the intruder in until his supply lines are stretched to the point of breaking. A scorched earth policy combined with pre-trained and designated partizans followed up by a pincer movement with mounted infantry will get them every time.

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
Personally I think tactical nukes are overkill and prefer a defense in layers so that I can make strategic withdrawals and lure the intruder in until his supply lines are stretched to the point of breaking. A scorched earth policy combined with pre-trained and designated partizans followed up by a pincer movement with mounted infantry will get them every time.
A very thoughtful approach ! :)

regards....roger

·
Registered
129 Posts
If it can defend a foxhole it can defend your house. Perhaps not ideal in your close quarters scenrio, but it is at least shorter than some military alternatives.

I personally would not recommend using it unless you are inside and the bad guys are outside or your are both outside. A 7.62x54 rifle bullet in FMJ (or any rifle bullet for that matter) would easily penetrate the intruder and then subsequently cut through every wall in your house and every possibly a person in another room like butter. Unless you live alone in a house in the middle of nowhere that is a dangerous situation.

Save the AK/SKS for the day when you accidentally get on the wrong side of the mob. Until then, get a shotgun or a handgun and shoot burglars with that instead. You can poke their corpse with your M-44 bayo until the cops arrive if that makes you happy.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
"You can poke their corpse with your M-44 bayo until the cops arrive if that makes you happy."

LOL! I love it. What else are you supposed to do while waiting for the authorities??

If you are like Vic, you just stare them into submission and then buttstroke them with your Mosin of choice! 60% of the time, it works every time!

T

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been practicing with a zippo lighter and one of those cans of 20 foot spraying wasp killer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
"LOL! I love it. What else are you supposed to do while waiting for the authorities??"

If you shot them on your porch or they fell backwards through the window they were climbing in when you shot them, drag the body back into the house before the cops arrive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.