Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Interesting photos. They weren't too concerned about having the right size helmets, were they? They are mostly German M16s, with at least one German ear cut-out M18 and one Austro-Hungarian helmet that I can see.

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
I saw a few of these helmets up for sale in any condition under the sun. At one time there was a lot of old WWI era stuff in Afghanistan. Lots of Italian small tankettes and mountain howitzers as well. Saw a WWII almost mint condition US Studebaker 2.5 ton truck and a junked Canadian Bren Gun Carrier. Lots of Russian vehicles (crapped out) all around.

Seems everyone who had a fire sale of old obsolete gear sold it or sent it to the Afghans. Saw a few M3 grease guns, one M1 Garand and a few M91 Remington made Mosin Nagants as well. Lots of stuff seemed to migrate there from Iran and Turkey. I brought a French Lebel back and I brought 10 fingers and 10 toes back as well (my most important souvenirs).

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
Wow....big bell bottom slacks. I had a pair of Levi big bell bottom jeans I had kept in the closet for years. Bought them new for about $10 back in the day. Sold them about two years ago for $150! Collectors....crazy with their money :)

Great photos! Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
One of my workmates did a deployment there in 2003...he brought in a muzzleloader to work on Friday to show me,that he brought home...a 1858 Enfield Percusssion rifle.He took it to the Army museum here and had a curator look at it...its original not a pakistan-made knock-off,and in pretty decent shape considering its age.He did put a few shots through it but its not particularly accurate,although still in good shooting condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.