Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here so here goes. Is there any difference between 7.62x54 and 7.62x54r. thanks for the help

·
Registered
633 Posts
7.65 x 54 is also seen as 7.65 x 53. It is 7.65 x 53.5. Also called Argentine, and some call it Belgian in character.

7.62 x 54r is Russian. I suspect 7.62 x 54 is someones short hand. The "r" is for rimmed, the Argentine is not rimmed. ("r" is also seen after the dates on on Russian items frequently. It stands for "Goda", or more simply, "The year of our Lord".

So without seeing where you are seeing these different notations, it is hard to guess what someone is trying to get accross to you.

(I did note that both of what you put down originally in your post were both 7.62 numbers. I work a lot of gun shows, and the two types of ammo get wrongly requested fairly frequently).

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I'm guessing that 7.62x54 is nothing other than someone's shorthand version of 7.62x54r. As previously stated, the R stands for rimmed and is the proper ammo for Mosins...

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
If you have a Russian M-44, it shoots 7.62x54 r (rimmed). The cartridges you want to use must have a rim on the bottom of the cartridge otherwise you cannot use them. Do not attempt to use any other type of cartridge in your rifle, unless of course you have a death wish. Also, if it is military surplus 7.62x54 r, it will have corrosive primers and you must clean accordingly and right away. Shermysan

·
Registered
849 Posts
Simply put, there is no such thing as 7.62x54. The only and correct designation for the cartridge used in the M-44 is the 7.62x54R.

D.D.

·
Administrator
3,448 Posts
The Russian word goda does not mean "the year of our lord" as the word has nothing to do with God. The Russian word god means year and goda means of the year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts