Gunboards Forums banner

M44 Accuracy

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  7.62x54r 
It's all about the harmonics. Barrels vibrate when a round is fired, and the vibrations are affected by barrel weight, strenght, length, etc. So, fixing or retracting a bayonet may make a rather hefty difference in how the barrel vibrates, thus altering the coincidence between point of impact and point of aim. I don't think it'd change your group size, at least not significantly so, but it is very possible it'd alter your POI a good deal.

Ted, I was referring specifically to the extension/retraction of an M44's bayonet. Harmonics affect group size a great deal (hence the varied barrel contours available, bedding, floating, the BOSS you mentioned, etc.), but specifically the bayonet of an M44 may or may not affect group sizes a whole lot.

Of course, let it be known that I have ZERO experience with the M44, and what I've posted is only general knowledge collected through my own experience with firearms and accounts posted by other users. I have yet to see a testimony verifying that bayonet position (in reference to the M44) has a substantial impact on group size. However, I have seen convincing accounts that it does alter POI measurably.

Ted, or anyone, what is the BOSS system. When I was in, a million years ago, we used a BRASS technique for shooting. Is it the same kind of thing?
The BOSS is a system that includes (primarily) a muzzlebrake which may attach to the threaded end of a barrel. It can affect accuracy by means of the brake itself, but also by the additional weight of the brake screwed onto the end of the barrel. Chuck Hawks has a pretty good article about it that's worth a read, if you're really interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.