Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me the physics behind why the M-44 would shoot differently with the bayonet extended or retracted? It seems a well sighted in shot is a well sighted in shot regardless. So it's obvious to me that I am missing something. Can anybody get me on ther right track on this?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can anyone explain to me the physics behind why the M-44 would shoot differently with the bayonet extended or retracted? It seems a well sighted in shot is a well sighted in shot regardless. So it's obvious to me that I am missing something. Can anybody get me on ther right track on this?
pressure on the barrel from one side, the barrels are made to shoot with the bayonet extended [ fixed ].
having the bayonet extended "pulls" the barrel into aliegnment. so to speak.
anyways, it works. hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It's all about the harmonics. Barrels vibrate when a round is fired, and the vibrations are affected by barrel weight, strenght, length, etc. So, fixing or retracting a bayonet may make a rather hefty difference in how the barrel vibrates, thus altering the coincidence between point of impact and point of aim. I don't think it'd change your group size, at least not significantly so, but it is very possible it'd alter your POI a good deal.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot. That explains alot to me.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I had an M44 that bubba had removed the bayonet lug from that shot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I would have loved to see what that rifle could have done with a bayonet to extend.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ted, I was referring specifically to the extension/retraction of an M44's bayonet. Harmonics affect group size a great deal (hence the varied barrel contours available, bedding, floating, the BOSS you mentioned, etc.), but specifically the bayonet of an M44 may or may not affect group sizes a whole lot.

Of course, let it be known that I have ZERO experience with the M44, and what I've posted is only general knowledge collected through my own experience with firearms and accounts posted by other users. I have yet to see a testimony verifying that bayonet position (in reference to the M44) has a substantial impact on group size. However, I have seen convincing accounts that it does alter POI measurably.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine seems to simply feel more balanced somehow with the bayo out, so I just practice with it that way anyway.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ted, or anyone, what is the BOSS system. When I was in, a million years ago, we used a BRASS technique for shooting. Is it the same kind of thing?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have yet to see a testimony verifying that bayonet position (in reference to the M44) has a substantial impact on group size. However, I have seen convincing accounts that it does alter POI measurably.
That's been my experience with my own M44s. The bayonet has no detectable influence on accuracy one way or the other, but shooting with the bayonet folded (which I prefer) means I have to adjust the front sight significantly to the left.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ted, or anyone, what is the BOSS system. When I was in, a million years ago, we used a BRASS technique for shooting. Is it the same kind of thing?
The BOSS is a system that includes (primarily) a muzzlebrake which may attach to the threaded end of a barrel. It can affect accuracy by means of the brake itself, but also by the additional weight of the brake screwed onto the end of the barrel. Chuck Hawks has a pretty good article about it that's worth a read, if you're really interested.

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
When I first fired mine I couldn't believe it was off the paper at 100 yards. Then the light bulb came on and I extended the bayonet. Eureka !! In the black !!

regards....roger

·
Registered
6 Posts
91/30

all I can tell you is that my 91/30 shoots better groups and dead on at one hundred yards with the bayonet attached to the rifle. I tried it both ways and there is a substantial difference in group size. maybe just a coinsidence but there is a difference at least on this one rifle.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,211 Posts
OK clarifications Precision is the size of the group, accuracy is closeness to the POA. the Accuracy of my M44 is better with bayo extended, however, precision is bad regardless.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info every one. That article was a big help. Thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
I have five M44's and I haven't found the bayonet to have any effect on anything. No offense intended, but I believe this to be an unsubstantiated rumor that became fact through repetition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts