Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
In the sixth photo, on the right of the barrel, is a mark of two crossed lances with a letter on either side. If I'm correct and the letters are GB, the rifle was proofed at the Birmingham Proof House in 1956.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Clermont. Very astute observation. My chart shows G as 1957.....but that's based on Parker Hale's system that omitted various years. What's your source...Skennerton? Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In 2000 I requested, from The Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House, a listing of their "Private View Marks" which indicates the year of proofing. They responded with a list of View Mark codes that went back to 1921. So, my source is the Birmingham Proof House. H would be the correct code for 1957.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Clermont. So they went in alphabetical order like the Parker Hales? Were any letters omitted? I could build my own chart if so. I own a BSA sporter with a view code of X which I believe was 1972. If you have the data on digits I would very much appreciate the codes. Regards, Rick.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
There are two View Marks with the letter X. XB for 1972 proofing, as you indicated yours was, and XC for 1995 proofing. Apparently the letter I is always omitted and, since 1975, the letters Q and W were also omitted. Later, I will try to upload the View Mark chart to the forum.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Keep a look out for the Moss 42MB stamped US Property but no British Proofs. They think that the last 1000 rifles of the last contract didn't go to England. I have one of those non British Proofed 42MB's.
Also taking delivery of a sporterized Moss 42MB with threaded barrel. I have a set of post war Parker-Hale sights to put on it I only need the front sight hood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.