Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to post this in the WTS forum also. So, if the moderator deems this to be an advertisement and thus, inappropriate for this forum it's okay. Only that it is so specific I hope it might stay to help those who may need one.

I looked all over for a M41b cheek rest for my current M96 project to use in CMP Vintage Sniper matches locally. I found a couple but had no response after reaching out to them. Then, a member here directed me to Rob Spurrier via his email [email protected]. Here's the funny part...Rob is our local match director and shoots an M96 in the VS matches but, I had no idea he hand made the leather cheek rests. So, while I was looking all over the place they right here in Denver the whole time!

Why did you never ask him about it you say? Well, I was going to surprise him by showing up this season with an M96 instead of my '03 Springfield...that's why. I guess that cat's out of the bag now. 馃槵

More to the point: he makes them here, they're avaialble, they're well made. Further, he is responsive to your email inquiries and will likely either have one in stock for you or, he will make it pretty quickly. I don't remember the price...something like $100 and an extra $10 if you want it stained + shipping. Don't hold me to that pricing but it's in that ball park anyway.

More images for those that are curious:

Identified on the interior, not sure what "21 is, maybe serial? Yes, my hands are really that big!馃げ

Leather is thick, stiff, hefty and the stitching is solid!

Finish is excellent!

It doesn't come with instructions for assembly and installation but I was somehow able to figure it out. Rob should work on that! 馃ぃ

Fits very well but I noticed it moves a bit. But how could it not? This is an original design flaw and no reflection of Rob's work. What you MUST understand however is that when mounted the rifle in a prone position, it DID NOT move one bit. Line of sight with the optic is perfect and it's real comfortable. Obviously, I recommend if you're in need of one.

The project is " Help Me Set Up An M96" parts 1 and 2 have been posted here. Part 3 will be coming to this forum shortly as soon as I can get to the range and test some loads. Working on the M96 has been a new and fun experience, thanks to all!

Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
Your buckles are in the last hole . You might try a thin piece of leather or cloth just to see if you can tighten it up .

Good looking repro .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little update...
Apparently, I had the thing in the wrong position! The split in the leather is there to accommodate the rear sling and, locate the rest. I learned this before i shot it but, would have figured it out once at the range. You see, I don't believe the bolt would clear in the above position. So, here it is mounted correctly and it works like a champ! Perfect height to get a solid cheek weld and aligned with the optic. You will also notice I'm not on the last hole anymore...I'm on the 1st and it is tight!

Silver Bullet Member
A little update...
Apparently, I had the thing in the wrong position! The split in the leather is there to accommodate the rear sling and, locate the rest. I learned this before i shot it but, would have figured it out once at the range. You see, I don't believe the bolt would clear in the above position. So, here it is mounted correctly and it works like a champ! Perfect height to get a solid cheek weld and aligned with the optic. You will also notice I'm not on the last hole anymore...I'm on the 1st and it is tight!

View attachment 3826430

Premium Member
I've purchased two for me and one for a friend (left handed version) and I'm very pleased with Rob's work! I'll certainly purchase more if I happen to buy any additional M41/B or M41s. Using these, you actually have a cheek weld vs a wobbly chin weld..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
he is still making them and, I see him once or twice a month so, I know for sure. I have NEVER had him not respond. Could be he missed it, could be the address was "fat fingered" or your email went to spam? :unsure:
Honestly, he is the nicest guy and very responsive, if he missed your email it was an honest mistake. Please try again, I'm sure he will be happy to help you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts