Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Courtesy of Empire Arms I finally managed to find an M39 with the unit disk still attached, this one particularly is a 1943 SAKO. I know its not necessarily all that rare of an item but still its something that I've been looking for but has eluded me for a while. Sorry for only taking a couple of pictures, will throw some more up when I get home and have something better than my phone for a camera (and some better software for cleaning it up).

So, now that I have one that is unit marked, any ideas what the disk says?

Added some more pictures 05/19/12.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
149 Posts
3rd battery Karjalan prikaati(the Karelian brigade)

·
Site Contributor
1,341 Posts
Might be worth noting that the unit is post-war. Karjalan Prikaati (Carelia Brigade) was established 1st of January 1957 by renaming former 5. Prikaati (5th Brigade). The brigades garrison has always been in Vekaranjärvi and also the brigade exists even today. The Artillery Battalion of Carelian Brigade mentioned in the disk was a former Artillery Battalion of 5th Brigade, which was also renamed accordingly with rest of the brigade.

Jarkko

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
Thanks for that information Jarkko. Have rifle number 106 with the disc, number 107 is nearby. It's a SK.Y '43 rifle with I figure a wartime replacement stock, no SAKO cartouche, almost no bluin' above the wood. But as usual. Fine blue under the wood, and a fine bore.

Most of these I have seen are '43 SK.Y rifles.

LB

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
I have Sako 1944 2131xx that is rifle #60 from the same unit. It has a #2 marked barrel and an armory hang tag on it too. The bolt matches while the mag in mismatched. I have quite a few of the aluminum disc rifles from the unit 1 PSTOKARPR including rifle #24. I also have some from 2 PSTOKARPR including rifle #1. I made atry to get as many of the aluminum disced rifles as I could till they went sky high and sort of disappeared. Congrats on getting what seems to be a real hard find these days. Bill

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Might be worth noting that the unit is post-war. Karjalan Prikaati (Carelia Brigade) was established 1st of January 1957 by renaming former 5. Prikaati (5th Brigade). The brigades garrison has always been in Vekaranjärvi and also the brigade exists even today. The Artillery Battalion of Carelian Brigade mentioned in the disk was a former Artillery Battalion of 5th Brigade, which was also renamed accordingly with rest of the brigade.

Jarkko
Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,624 Posts
I have quite a few of the aluminum disc rifles from the unit 1 PSTOKARPR including rifle #24. I also have some from 2 PSTOKARPR including rifle #1. I made a try to get as many of the aluminum disced rifles as I could till they went sky high and sort of disappearedse days
That would be why I have never seen one in the wild. I have never been to West Virginia.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Most of the ones I have came from Pennsylvania, sorry Alsky!

One I have is in a straight stock Sako 2026xx 1941 with the Sako marked stock having Crossed Cannon's with an S and the disc in Aluminum and marked 1 . PSTOKARPK #41. Bolt marked matching and no marks on plate or mag. Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got some more pictures up, sorry about the delay, its been 70 hours a week between both jobs lately and, well, that is what enables me to have my 'toys' like this so I can't complain :thumbsup: .

Thanks to all for the great information. Interesting that the unit is post-war, I would have thought the practice of putting such identification on the rifles would have stopped as, though I find the disks to be interesting, from a practical standpoint it would seem a way to give the enemy free intel. In any case, after further examination I find the rifle is built on an 1898 Sestroryetsk receiver (very bad close up picture, its hard to tell but that is an arrow with 9 and 8 to either side). Also interestingly the bolt appears to have belonged to two prior rifles, one number on the body struck out and the remnants of another number (mostly ground off) on the knob with the current number (can be seen pretty well in one of the pictures). 1943 Sako as you can see, also managed to get a better shot of the unit disk. Took it out to put her through her paces (along with a couple more for company) and it shoots quite well, nice smooth two stage trigger and three inch group at 100 yards with some Albanian surplus (about as good as can be expected with my eyes). Spent the rest of the time breaking clay pigeons with all three. From left to right, 1936 Tula 91/30 with stacked front sight, 1942 Sako M39 with what appear to be kill notches, and the 1943 Sako that got the thread started.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.