Gold Bullet member
First time shooting the scoped M39. Initial alibis...This was my first experience with the repro scope reticle. I was able to make quick adjustments for W&E, but found it a bit difficult to maintain a precise aimpoint. I tried a 6'oclock hold mostly at the bottom of the red bullseye and a 3 shot group holding at bottom of 8 ring. I'm much more comfortable with conventional crosshairs...I have some learning to do with this repro reticle. The biggest issue was ammo. My M39 slugs at .308...the Hornady manual says not to use .312 projectiles due to overpressure concerns, so I pulled down some lousy Polish LB Silvertip. I used the empty cases and added a .308 150gn Hornady FMJ bullet over 40.9gns of Varget. Sounds OK so far? The problem was the inconsistent primers in the existing cases. I tested a few empties and the fired primers varied from barely a fizzle to a fireball out the barrel. I'm sure this affected the accuracy of my reloads. If you guys can recommend a good factory load for the M39 I would love to hear from you. So between the newbie behind the repro reticle and the less than consistent handloads, this is the result today at 100yds. On a positive note, my mounting job worked great. All screws were still tight after the range session. I did not inlet the stock at the bottom of the mount base on either side. I'm thinking I should do this before the next range outing. Oh well, the Cowboys just scored, so back to the game. Hope to hear from you guys.