Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time shooting the scoped M39. Initial alibis...This was my first experience with the repro scope reticle. I was able to make quick adjustments for W&E, but found it a bit difficult to maintain a precise aimpoint. I tried a 6'oclock hold mostly at the bottom of the red bullseye and a 3 shot group holding at bottom of 8 ring. I'm much more comfortable with conventional crosshairs...I have some learning to do with this repro reticle. The biggest issue was ammo. My M39 slugs at .308...the Hornady manual says not to use .312 projectiles due to overpressure concerns, so I pulled down some lousy Polish LB Silvertip. I used the empty cases and added a .308 150gn Hornady FMJ bullet over 40.9gns of Varget. Sounds OK so far? The problem was the inconsistent primers in the existing cases. I tested a few empties and the fired primers varied from barely a fizzle to a fireball out the barrel. I'm sure this affected the accuracy of my reloads. If you guys can recommend a good factory load for the M39 I would love to hear from you. So between the newbie behind the repro reticle and the less than consistent handloads, this is the result today at 100yds. On a positive note, my mounting job worked great. All screws were still tight after the range session. I did not inlet the stock at the bottom of the mount base on either side. I'm thinking I should do this before the next range outing. Oh well, the Cowboys just scored, so back to the game. Hope to hear from you guys.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,385 Posts
Nice looking rifle. It appears to have good accuracy potential too.

I too have difficulty sighting those type targets with the reticule in question. I prefer other types. With this type scope I have much better results with the diamond shaped targets. That lets me attempt to put the tip of the arrow in the scope at the bottom tip of the diamond on the target. This is more repeatable.

When it comes to ammo, trying lots of different flavors is a good idea. I use several types of commericial and surplus in my M-39s with no problem so far but I have never slugged either bore. Maybe someone with more experience with the M-39 can add on the ammo question. General rule is, the better quality of the ammo, the better the results. Good luck and look forward to future range reports.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking rifle. It appears to have good accuracy potential too.

I too have difficulty sighting those type targets with the reticule in question. I prefer other types. With this type scope I have much better results with the diamond shaped targets. That lets me attempt to put the tip of the arrow in the scope at the bottom tip of the diamond on the target. This is more repeatable.

When it comes to ammo, trying lots of different flavors is a good idea. I use several types of commericial and surplus in my M-39s with no problem so far but I have never slugged either bore. Maybe someone with more experience with the M-39 can add on the ammo question. General rule is, the better quality of the ammo, the better the results. Good luck and look forward to future range reports.
Thanks for the compliment and also for your idea to use a standard diamond sighting in target. I will try that at the next range visit....anything to help my tired ol' peepers. I have used Czech LB Silvertip in my M39 and never had a problem. One of the experienced milsurp collectors and I discussed the .308 bore vs the .312 bullet at the range awhile back. He said he uses the Com Bloc ammo in his M39. I will buy some good quality brass and work up some good handloads to wring the accuracy out of this thing. I hope to post better results in the near future. :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
M39 load

I shoot 174 matchking (.311 Dia) over 46 grains of varget (Prvi cases) out of my 1970 "Sneak" rifle and get 1 moa all the way out to 600 yards.

You might try the .308 175 matchking over 45-46 grains of Varget if your intending to shoot long range.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tried some 185gn Silver Bear today at 100yds. I'm still working on getting the fine points down on this scope. The first target shows a 5 shot group fired with the scope. Just for the heckuvit I looked through the irons and fired the lower 3 shot group. The second target shows several groupings as I adjusted the scope. I had moved the scope forward in the mount and neglected to use Loktite on the thumb screws...of course they worked loose during firing...grabbed a screw driver and tightened the screws...The 3 shot group in the center of the diamond was my final try...this time I opened both eyes with the scope and it dramatically improved the result. I'm a righty and I close my right eye when looking through my scopes, but this scope seems to work better for me with both eyes open. Going to apply some more Loktite tonight and go back to the range this weekend.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Now we're getting somewhere! Another trip to the range with the scoped M39. I started shooting the Silver Bear 185gn ammo for about 40rds. I had plenty of the Polish LB Silvertip on hand so I thought, what the hey! The rifle seems to like the Polish fodder. Now I will have to shim my scope in its mount as I have run out of adjustment for W&E. The project continues!

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
You have what is a reproduction m/39 SOV and NOT a 39/43.

Looks like it shoots well as expected.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.