Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help, please. Took my 1967 M39 to the range today for the first time. I've had it for several months, it looks great. Started out shooting about 2 feet to the left at 200 yards. Adjusted the front sight as far as possible to the left, but still could not get it on the gong without holding far to the right. Finally realized, the front sight base/ears assembly is "canted" to the right - when the rear sight is level, the right front sight ear is about 1/8" lower than the left, like it is trying to slide to the right.
How can this be corrected? Would correcting it destroy the bluing in that area or affect the barrel? We have a gunsmith in my area, but sadly, from previous experience, I would not trust him to fix this.
Have any of you experienced this? I have a few other late date M39s that are very accurate, but it seems like this one must have never been test fired or the problem would have been obvious. I would sincerely appreciate your suggestions on what, if anything, I should do about this. Returning it to the seller is not an option, as I have had this for at least 6 months or more.
Thanks in advance!

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I have soldered on the front sight ring on a Swede Mauser M96 & I have soldered on the rear sight base on a M39(bubba fix). You can solder it on with a propane torch - Suggest you do so outside or in the garage. It should be an easy fix, just don't keep the torch on the sight too long, as you will melt away the solder.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Place the barreled action sights-down on a flat surface. That should accent any canting of the front sight. Do as suggested above and use a level, flat surface to orient the sight. When all four ears (two rear and two front) touch the flat surface equally, you have the front sight aligned to the rear sight. No levels, no jigs, no special fixtures needed. DDR

·
Gold Bullet member
8,663 Posts
Before reaching for the propane torch, i would recommend checking to see if there is evidence someone tried to unscrew the barrel first.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To All,
Thank you for the advice. I was concerned that the heat would discolor the bluing or distort the barrel. Sounds like all should be OK with patience and caution.
Leon - at the range, my first thought (hope!) was that the barrel just needed to be turned in a little bit. Then I quickly realized that the rear sight is also mounted on the barrel, so the problem is defintely how the front sight was attached.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,663 Posts
Are the barrel breach markings properly oriented? is there a number stamped on the barrel, just behind the front sight, directly on top of the barrel? That is the front blade height and should be on top. What about markings, e.g. "Century Arms" on the side of the barrel behind the front sight?

My suspicion is that someone "bubba'd" you M39 before you got it. I'm just recommending a little forensic analysis of the problem before trying to fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts