1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING ! WARNING ! WARNING ! WARNING !

Graphic Images!

Mature Content below.

I saw this at a local shop recently when I was picking up a Norwegian 98. I bought it on principle just to get it out of circulation so someone didn't try to "Tapco" it into some sort of tactical something or other.

It did come with a Century hang tag ( that counts right???)

It's pretty frightening up close.

Here's a little side by side for contrast.

The Bore Is pristine and is not counter bored.

I still don't know what to say about it other than Blech! Of course I am tempted by the obvious.... To put it back but I don't think that bedliner is going to come off.

Has Century done this to many? It is the first I have seen.

JR

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Wizards huh? I can think of a few other words to describe them fellas.My friend has one just like it cept it is a VKT.I don't know if that will come off or not, heat gun maybe.My friend just shoots his and calls it good.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think Century is the home of Bubba and his form of gun smithing.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Shy, Just call Deanna and she willl set you up with one. I think I'd rather have the bed liner. But then I'd have to buy a truck.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If it was done with the same substance they used on the CZ52 rifles, it will come off with a lot of work.

·
Silver Bullet member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The metal and bore truly are in excellent shape but, as claimed by Century, is refinished. ( at least they didn't phosphate the bore.) From an originality standpoint, there may be none. Strike that. There is none. Stock ruined. Metal refinished.

This is prime candidate for a post war dry stock. I have not exactly been tripping over M39 stocks out there. IO used to have them three or four years ago. If I can find one for the right price it might be worth it to just to change it out.

In the mean time I am considering how to strip this beast but am a little afraid of what I might find under there.

There appears to be some decent cracks in the wrist.

Whether or not repairs have been performed under the "bedliner" will remain to be seen. I wonder if Strip-eez is up to the job.

JR

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
Looks like they took some 0% finish cracked stock specials and bubba'd 'em up to hide the flaws and try to sell them for more than anyone with any sense would pay for a totally worn busted rifle.

Century does this kind of stuff all the time and it's one of the reasons I will not buy from them. It's just crooked.

I bet anyone that buys one of these will find out the stock is cracked at the wrist and the bore is near shot out.

·
Silver Bullet member
997 Posts
I bet anyone that buys one of these will find out the stock is cracked at the wrist and the bore is near shot out.
but

rotor said:
The metal and bore truly are in excellent shape.... The Bore Is pristine and is not counter bored
maybe century sold mosins to folks who would otherwise not have bought them. the more gun owners the better, I say.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Anyone have pics of the Century M38's with Russian PSO-1 scopes on them? I remember when they were selling those and now I kind'a wish I had bought one to toy around with.

·
Silver Bullet member
181 Posts
If you want to try and remove that finish, scrapers might be best. Often used for find furniture and cabinet work, scrapers are also great when you want to remove as little as possible and avoid the rounding that sanding does. Either buy and learn how to sharpen scrapers, or have a bunch of 1 inch X 2 inch double-strength window glass pieces cut for you. The edges are razor-sharp and allow you to scrape the finish off while minimizing the amount of wood scraped off. Way better than sandpaper, and no need for chemical strippers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looks like they took some 0% finish cracked stock specials and bubba'd 'em up to hide the flaws and try to sell them for more than anyone with any sense would pay for a totally worn busted rifle.

Century does this kind of stuff all the time and it's one of the reasons I will not buy from them. It's just crooked.

i was just thinking that when i saw the cracks. i bet they saw the cracks and thought to them selves "hmmm..... how can we cover those up and sell this for more than its worth...."

that's just shameful.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,116 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,190 Posts
Over the counter chemical strippers won't touch that stuff. It's a real pain to remove. You'd be better off to find a replacement stock.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
i was just thinking that when i saw the cracks. i bet they saw the cracks and thought to them selves "hmmm..... how can we cover those up and sell this for more than its worth...."

that's just shameful.
They have done it before with other types of rifles with cracked stocks so they could sell them as high as possible without stating the stock was cracked. It's crooked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts