Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I ran across an article or information on Finn m39 with arsenal color dots on stocks. Included with it was a key that definrd the reason for the colors. Does anyone know where that was located, or, have that info?

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,121 Posts
A while ago I ran across an article or information on Finn m39 with arsenal color dots on stocks. Included with it was a key that definrd the reason for the colors. Does anyone know where that was located, or, have that info?
This is new info for me. Where did you find it?

·
Copper Bullet member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of the problem. I rember seeing it and now I want to revisit it and can not locate it. I was hoping that some of the much more knowlegable than me people would help with the location

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
some time ago I saw a photo of an m39 with a red line on the stock near the nosecup. I do not know if the reason was the same.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello!

I have never heard about M39 color codes painted on stocks.

To me the familiar item is the red stripe painted on stocks of M1903 Springfield rifles.

Regards,

Mestari

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I do not recall anything about dots, per se, but I do recall some discussion about a red color code connected with Finnish rifles. I think the Swedish Mausers with red paint on the stock were used in radioactive training. I have an Instructie M91 with white paint dots near the nose cap (unknown meaning).

Here is a M39 that I have with a green stripe on the buttplate. It is on a no-maker, no-date variety. DDR

·
Copper Bullet member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to be careful not to spred any miss info or claim to know something when I can not prove it or state it's origin. With that said, I believe that it began in a thread but was responded to by a reputable Mosin enthusiast. I believe there was even a link to the info. This had to do with colored circles placed on m39s as a sort of grading system. I believe the colors were; yellow, red and black. Green may have been included but not as a stripe as pictured by dudley. These were circles and I estmate them to be 2 inches or so.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
I think you have this mixed up as I have never heard of this - Here nor in Finland.

·
Administrator
19,256 Posts
I have never seen any such thing.

·
Copper Bullet member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I certainly do not believe all that I read or hear but I do know that I read it. An example of such would look the pic that I attached here. (if I did it right). I assure you that it is not a doctored pic. If the info that I am trying to find does not exist or is untrue, which is entirely possible, does anyone have an explanation for the color markings? I do appreciate and respect the knowledge of others who are more knowing than myself.

·
Copper Bullet member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for noticing! I did a copy/crop/copy/paste deal from one of my favorite sites. Maybe you have seen it, 7.62x54r.net. Hope that is not a violation. The pictures there are much better than I can achieve with my camera.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:

20 to 1 he's seen the site. :rolleyes:

SlimTim

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
red line on m39 stock

This was the one I was talking about.
I found on the old.gunboards. kh posted it some month ago.

Regards.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts