Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen m39s with the BOXED SA mark on top of the receiver. The m39 that I have has the BOXED SA on the left side of the receiver just a bit above the wood line. Its a Pat Burns purchase that I got burned on, its a 1941 SAKO.

Does the location of the BOXED SA mark mean anything? Such as before such and such date the BOXED SA mark was stamped in one place of the receiver and at a latedr date it was stamped elsewhere on the receiver? Or perhaps the Boxed SA mark was stamped at different armories , etc.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
It can mean a few things in some cases when it comes to M39s. Other guns, almost nothing. With M39s it can mean if a gun was purpose built or rebuilt from an M91.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,088 Posts
Chances are your [SA] stamp is on the barrel shank and not on your receiver. Most of the [SA]s were stamped just above the wood line on the left side of the chamber area. But many others were stamped all over the chamber areas with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
It can mean a few things in some cases when it comes to M39s. Other guns, almost nothing. With M39s it can mean if a gun was purpose built or rebuilt from an M91.
I have heard that some M91 barrels were been used to make M39s. I am not up much on this topic, and would like to learn more about it. Can you elaborate on this?

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
I have heard that some M91 barrels were been used to make M39s. I am not up much on this topic, and would like to learn more about it. Can you elaborate on this?
The B barrels that were originally M91s and then converted will usually have their SA stamp partially covered by the rear sight base. On mine, it's cut in half. As the SA was placed on the barrel when it was original accepted. Later, it was rebuilt.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive seen m39s with the BOXED SA mark on top of the receiver. The m39 that I have has the BOXED SA on the left side of the receiver just a bit above the wood line. Its a Pat Burns purchase that I got burned on, its a 1941 SAKO.

Does the location of the BOXED SA mark mean anything? Such as before such and such date the BOXED SA mark was stamped in one place of the receiver and at a latedr date it was stamped elsewhere on the receiver? Or perhaps the Boxed SA mark was stamped at different armories , etc.
SORRY Fellows. I meant to post the BOXED SA being on the shank of the barrel, either atop or L/H side..... NOT the receiver.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fellows: Good to hear that the BOXED SA mark was stamped... into the barrel shank... in various locations and in some cases different directions. BUT

do you all think it "means" something? I dont really know what I mean by that. Obviously by the date on the barrel shank we know that date meant something..... was it the year the barrel was produced or the year the gun was assembled?

But does the way the BOXED SA mark get stamped into the shank tell us something? For instance. Did Olie (dont know any FInn names so I'll use a Swede) at Armory "a" stamp the BOXED SA from say the years 1940 to 1943 on the left hand side of the shank while Fritz (again I dont know any Finn names so I'll use a German) at Armory "b" from the years say 1937 to 1944 stamp the BOXED SA mark across the top of the barrel shank? Etc, etc?

IMHO it tells us something. Its not just some fellow(s) coming to work each day and stamping barrel shanks one way today and other way the next. I cant imagine that important marking would be applies like that.

All and all I geuss it doesnt matter...; just go shoot the darn gun BUT its another item to ponder about.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
If i understand you...

SA means - Property of the Finnish Army. It replaced this early designation seen below that was used for a very short time because it was much easier to stamp as well as read :)

·
Registered
11,605 Posts
You'e waaay over thinking it. The [SA] stamp is just a Finnish property mark. Prior to [SA] they used Polusstuslaitos as their property mark. Polusstuslaitos being a long word and difficult for collectors to spell, the Finnish army changed their property mark to [SA] to appease American collectors discussing rifles on the internet. (insert sarcastic tone).

The most likely reason for the location is probably different methods by different arsenals. Heck, the even had different size stamps. It sounds to me like you need to look at a bunch of m 39s to realize there is quite a bit of variance in them.

Helpful links:
http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/finnish_mosin_nagantm39.asp

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/default.asp

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm

·
Registered
336 Posts

Early M39's seem to be marked on the left above the wood line while some 1942 and most later war time rifles are marked on top.

From left to right on top:
The Sky on the top left doesn't have one.
The B next to it is marked on top.
The '42 Sako is marked on the left above the wood line.
The '41 Sako is PL marked and has an SA mark on the left above the wood line.
Second row:
1944 VKT is marked on top.
1943 Sako is marked on top.
1942 VKT is marked on top.
1941 VKT has two SA stamps on left above wood line.
On the bottom.
The '42 SKY is not SA marked.
The 1970 isn't either (of course).

Here is a 1942 Sako I used to have.

It was marked on the left above the wood line.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Chances are your [SA] stamp is on the barrel shank and not on your receiver. Most of the [SA]s were stamped just above the wood line on the left side of the chamber area. But many others were stamped all over the chamber areas with seemingly no rhyme or reason.
The M-39's I owned pre-Katrina :( , not one of them had the SA on the receiver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts