Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just reading an old book I have on rifles,"The Book Of Rifles" by Smith & Smith. In it it states the M39 were meant to be used with 200 grain,boattail, D-166 bullet. Has anybody tried any 200 grain bullets? All I seem to have are of the 147 grain variety in surplus ammo. I do have some 200 grain Wolf commerical ammo. I am thinking of trying it in my M39's. Any thoughts anybody?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't plan on reloading. Haven't got enough time available to do all (shoot, clean and etc...). But thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Any commercial 180, 200 or 204 grain ammo will shoot just fine; you should not have any problems at all, unless the bores are greatly oversized. Most of that Russian commercial ammo is loaded with .310" diameter bullets. Now, if your M39s are shootin' OK with other surplus, which also uses .310" bullets, should be okie-dokie.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just miked the Wolf that I have. Where the case mouth is the diameter is .308. I checked some silver tipped ammo I have and it is miking at .300 at the case mouth. Also checked some hardball and it mikes the same as the silver tipped stuff. So, I guess the diameter is a bit larger where the ammo is actually crimped. Will try the Wolf tomorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wolf 200 gr shoots great in my M39. With my PU scope, I get ¾" groups at 100 yds and 1¾" groups at 200 yds.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my Sako the Wolf 200 grain shoots to point of aim at 50 yards and about 6-8 inches high at 100 yards. In my VKT the Wolf is about 4-6 inches high at 50 and about 1 foot high at 100 yards. Any one know of a quick fix for the front sight for the M39? Groups were about 1-1 1/2 inches with open sights and a really stiff trigger( or at least I thought so after shooting my Anschutz and Suhl with 1 & 2 Oz triggers).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the boards clock and calander are a bit off. I posted my last post about 1800 on Sunday 9/9/07.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts